Chapter 2 - Ditching School

Chapter 2 – Ditching School

About twelve years later
Thursday, May 5, 2011
7:15a
Wells and Lyle Foster Care
Cordina Lane, Houston, TX

The sun had only been out a few minutes, and dawn broke through the sky ahead. The kids at the foster home were preparing for school as summer neared. With his best friend, Mitchell Jones; Dustin, now almost twelve, was also getting ready for his day.

They eventually had their breakfast and were ready to take the private bus, belonging to the foster home, to go to school. While everything seemed normal, it may also not have been, as Dustin had something else on his mind. Already was completing the fifth grade, while Mitchell, being a year older and in junior high school, finished sixth.

The two friends had about only two weeks left to their summer vacation. But Dustin didn't plan to go to school today. Of course, Mitchell decided to accompany him. On their way, they saw a young girl, ready to go to school. She looked like she was about ten years old, maybe eleven.

"Check it out, it's Katy Peterson!" smirked Dustin. "Doesn't she turn eleven on the ninth?"

"I'd probably avoid her if I was you." Mitchell suggested. "It'd be for the best."

"Avoid her if you wish." Dustin demanded. "I'm asking her out, LOL!"

"Dustin!" exclaimed Mitchell.

"Hey, Katy! Wanna see a movie?" said Dustin.

"I have to go to school, ain't ditching like you, garbage boy!" said Katy.

Dustin angrily grabbed and pulled her hair. Katy shrieked in pain.

"What you call me?" said Dustin. "Say my name!"

"Uncle Howard!" shouted Katy.

"RUN!" shouted Dustin, and the two boys ran off.

"I'll get you for this, or my name's not Katy!" said Katy.

"Katy, what's the matter!" said Howard, her uncle. "You okay?"

"He's gone now, don't worry!" said Katy.

Meanwhile the two boys ran off into the nearby freight yard. It was an old trainyard where shipment trains came in. The boys were intrigued. Dustin then looked at Mitchell.

"Wanna check this out?" said Dustin.

"Sure, as long as we don't get in trouble!" said Mitchell.

"Eh, you worry too much!" stated Dustin.