Chapter 36 - Remorse and Departure

Chapter 36 – Remorse and Departure

Monday, May 24, 2026
2:33p
Houston Central Jail
Houston, TX

Moments after Dustin's demise, the kids walked out of the city jail, one by one. Taking off their bandanas and all signs of loyalty to Dustin Coleman. They no longer wanted to follow his corrupt and criminal footsteps. Seeing how he reacted going towards the death house, they felt he was a coward after all, unbeknownst to them, Dustin only had acted out that scenario so the kids will stop following him, as per Mitchell's last request to him. Mitchell then stepped outside the city jail's main security entrance and saw in front; it was none other than Katy. She stared at Mitchell, with tears in her eyes and proceeded towards him. Mitchell saw this and embraced her. She then held out her smartphone, and Mitchell saw this lengthy paragraph, which was a text message in WhatsApp sent by Dustin to Katy.

Katy,

I insulted you, disrespected you, and I also hit you. Please forgive me! I had no other way, to send you back to Mitchell. If had I known you loved Mitchell and not me, then I swear, I'd never come between you and him. But how could I not? Being a boy born in garbage? I was born in this world, without asking for it. I went after you, without wanting it. But I'll go now! They often say what you don't get in this world, you'll find it in the Next World. Is there a "next world"? Will we meet in this "new world"? Who knows?

Dustin Coleman.

With that, Mitchell and Katy shed a few tears more. It was a bitter moment, while it lasted. Mitchell and Katy then kissed and prepared to leave and go home. They looked back at Dustin, not for the criminal he was, but for the boy who needed proper love and care.

Thursday, May 4, 2034

12:36p

Eight years later...

Years passed since the kids at the orphanage eventually grew up and were either pursuing higher education or were already financially stable in their careers. The city of Houston had eradicated crime heavily in the last eight years, along with other corruption and law enforcement also improved by having more sincere officers, along with androids, assisting in enforcing the law. Of course, this was largely in due to international governments and technology companies collaborating with one another.

A new batch of orphans were ready to go to lunch. Along with them, was a six-year-old boy, who was Mitchell and Katy's son, Dustin. Named after their late friend, whom unlike Dustin who never was given the proper love and care, would be raised differently.

"You miss him, don't you?" said Katy. "I know Dustin is still in your heart and mind."

"He still is for sure, Katy." Mitchell replied. "He deserved better, and thus our son, will be raised how I hoped Dustin would be raised. Also, let's not forget Dustin saved this place from being destroyed."

"That he did. It's sad he chose whatever after, but he knew deep inside, it was the best in our interests." Katy agreed.

Mitchell and Katy kissed. In the sky above, multiple drones swarmed the atmosphere, consisting of delivery/police/security/news/cargo and other various type of drones. Mitchell and Katy smiled, having felt safer than ever.

An Apple Loving Individual story
THE END