Ch. 14: Asleep

We ran back, or rather Edward ran back, unwilling to release me, and found Renesmee asleep in the same position she'd been in when we left, but with Jacob standing over her. When he heard us, he turned, raising an eyebrow. Edward nodded.

"Are you kidding me? You told Jacob before me?" I groaned, facepalming. What have I agreed to?

"I needed an explanation for babysitting Renesmee so late..." Edward murmured. Like me, he'd crept towards our daughter and was next to her.

"She stayed asleep?" I asked Jake, pressing her hand against my cheek to feel her warmth-she wasn't dreaming anymore.

"Yeah, she did. Didn't move, either." Jacob reported.

"That's good," I said, smiling. Not one nightmare.

"Incredible." Jacob agreed.

"Renesmee, Renesmee, Renesmee. What are we going to do with you?" I murmured, for her dreams had returned, and her subconscious was demanding a sister.

"What is it?" Jacob asked.

"I'll tell you later." I told him, and he didn't argue-he knew it went against my better judgement to let him be around Nessie so late, let alone being with her and nobody else.

"Fine. That's fine." Jacob said hastily. I smiled.

"Good. Now, Jacob, please leave." I requested. Jacob nodded, and left after kissing Nessie's cheek. She didn't move.

A day later, I was debating how to tell anyone.

"Alice already knows, but she'll have kept our secret, and we should tell Renesmee first, then everyone else, as this will affect her most.." I rambled.

"Dela, love, you're barely making sense-you're talking so fast." Edward interrupted. I would've blushed if I could.

"Sorry." I apologized, running a finger carefully over Eliza's ring- and, unbelievably, my ring.

"It's believable. You know, Dela, she always loved you just as much as she loved me." Edward said softly.

"No, she didn't, Edward. She was the earth, and you were the sun, and I was the moon. Her entire world revolved around you, and I just happened to be there for the affection she had to spare, because I adored her like I adored my own mother." I disagreed. Edward smiled.

"If you say so," he clearly still believed he was right. I gave up, as there is nothing more unarguable than Edward's decisions and beliefs.

"Let's go." I murmured, going to Nessie's attic room, to find her awake and reading a copy of a book called 'The Girl Who Drank The Moon', a present I'd given her "for the birthday I missed out on".

"Enjoying it?" I asked, smiling.

"Yes! there's this f-"

"Shh, your father hasn't read it before!" I interrupted, laughing at her childlike enthusiasm.

"Sorry, Daddy!" Renesmee apologized, blushing.

"It's alright, Ness. Your Momma and I have something to tell you." Edward began.

"What? What is it?" Nessie said, her voice a perfectly lovely cross of excited and scared.

"We're engaged, sweetheart," I told her softly. When her words failed her, she touched my cheek, begging to know if I was lying to her.

"Would I ever do that, my Renesmee?" I smiled as she hugged me tightly.

"We have to tell everyone! And give them roles, and plan things and-" Renesmee's eyes widened innocently. "Momma, can I please, please, please be your maid of honor?"

"Of course you can. I planned that from the beginning." I revealed to her, my lips hovering on her brow.