Prologue

Addie p.o.v.

I was remembering my human days, specifically the day I first understood what arranged marriage was. I was five.

memory

I ran through the halls of my home, desperately trying to find my best friend.

"Dela?" Edward asked from behind me.

"Eddie." I breathed.

"You're my-my-"

"Future wife. It's disgusting."I finished.

"Mm-hm." He said, nodding.

"Well, on the bright side, at least we'll never be apart. I mean, imagine a never-ending visit. amazing!" I told him. He blushed.

"Yeah. Always playing together will be fun." He admitted.

"Exactly."

I remember thinking nothing of his blush, then realizing when we were fifteen he had a crush on me. I kissed him, and we started courting, and then he died. Even now, a hundred years later, I love him. I love him.

Edward p.o.v.

I had just stopped having to deal with Bella's declining temperament. I have no idea why she does it, but it terrifies Renesmee. Even though it's wrong, I can't help but wish I still had my first love. Her name was Adelina, but I called her Dela. A part of me still loves her, and that part would be far larger if I didn't know she's dead. She probably died a long time ago married to another man with children who weren't mine. 

"Daddy? Why are you sad?" Renesmee, who had just entered, asked.

"I'm thinking about someone I lost." I told her.

"Who?" Nessie asked, pulling herself into my lap.

"A woman I once loved." I told her.

"Was she nice?"

"The nicest." I promised.

"Was she from your human life?" Nessie guessed.

"Yes, she was. You'd love her." I told Nessie, smiling sadly.

"what was her name?" Nessie questioned.

"Adelina Snow. my Dela." I told her.

"Adelina is a pretty name. Was she named after snow?" Nessie smiled.

"No. Snow is her last name, like Cullen is yours." I said, chuckling.

"Much better last name, I'd say." Renesmee muttered.

"Edward? Why are you telling my daughter about you loving another woman?" Bella growled as she came in.

"Because it was over a hundred years ago, she's dead, and our daughter asked about her." I hissed, pulling Ness towards me. Isabella now gets violent often, and I will not let my helpless daughter be subject to that.

"So it's okay to do that? What if it makes her start having affairs when she's older?" Bella snapped. The sheer hypocrisy there...

"It won't, because our daughter is not like you!" I growled, getting up and holding Renesmee as tightly as I could without hurting her.

"She should be like me! I'm hotter, smarter, and just... just better than you!" Bella screamed. Renesmee started to cry, and I pulled her up to my face and kissed her hair.

"Get out." I said simply. She did so, but she was still very clearly furious. I put Renesmee on the bed I shared with Bella, and hugged her.

"It's alright, baby girl. It's alright." I soothed, kissing her forehead.

"Why is she like this?" Renesmee choked out between sobs.

"I don't know, baby girl. I don't know. What I do know is that you are so much better than your mother, Renesmee Carlie. You are so much more than her." I promised.

"Why is she so mad about us talking about Dela?" Renesmee asked.

"She doesn't understand that I can love her while still remembering Dela." Even though she loved Jacob even as she loved me. "But I do love her, and I do love you." I told Renesmee. Even as I spoke, I knew I loved Bella less and less, and that Renesmee and I would both be better off without her. Why, my love? Why wasn't I strong enough to stay alive with you?