Ch. 2: Eliza Reincarnated

Adelina P.o.V.

I was walking through woods near a small human town I planned to hunt in, singing a song I'd learned from Eliza, Edward's mother.

Hush, my little darling,
Don't you say a word,
The world is cold and dangerous and dark,
But I have the light of your golden heart
You're mine, my love, my sweetheart,
My precious, my unbreakable star,
So when you're alone, when you miss home,
Just call my name in the dark.

I sang, over and over again. It calms me like it did all those years ago when I was a little girl sitting with Edward, Eliza, and my mother, Luna.

Renesmee p.o.v.

I was in the woods, alone, for the first time. Daddy said that now that I looked twelve, I could be more independent.  I was a few miles from forks, when I heard someone singing the melody daddy would hum in my ear to put me to sleep, but sang by a woman, and with lyrics. I wanted to know how she knew the song, so I followed the sound to a red-eyed vampire with dark orange hair. She was utterly gorgeous, almost as pretty as Auntie Rose.

"Hello," I spoke up, coming closer to the woman. She gasped when she saw me.

"Eliza." She whispered. She seemed alarmed, like she'd seen some sort of ghost.

"Sorry, ma'am, but who's Eliza?" I asked.

"No one. just someone I used to know." The woman shook her head slightly and cleared her throat. "What are you doing out here on your own?" She asked.

"Just walking. My daddy knows where I am. I'm Renesmee Cullen." I told the woman. For some reason, I felt like she was trustworthy.

"Well, hello, Renesmee. I'm Adelina Snow." She - Adelina - told me, a smile showing slight on her red-stained lips. I gasped now. Adelina Snow, as in daddy's ex-girlfriend Dela?

"Wait. When you say I look like Eliza, do you mean Elizabeth Masen?" I asked her.

"How do you know that?" She asked me, her purple-tinted eyes narrowing.

Adelina P.o.V.

"I... just follow me." The little girl said, and then ran off. I darted after her, at a safe human speed. She brought me to a modern mansion that smelled like loads of vampires.

"Renesmee, you shouldn't be here. You just shouldn't." I told the girl. She smiled, giggling.

"You'll see."

Seven vampires left the house. The girl ran to them. The way they looked at her... They seem to love this strange child.

I saw a face that was strange, but familiar. I felt a jolt run through my veins as his golden eyes met mine.

Edward p.o.v.

I heard a vampire's voice from outside, talking to my daughter. Instantly, the entire family rushed out, with me at the head. Renesmee was talking to someone who looked like, but couldn't possibly be, my Dela. She gaped at me, with something akin to heartbreak in her eyes, and a part of me wanted to hold her to my cold, lifeless frame, but I couldn't. 

This wasn't Adelina Scarlet. My Dela died decades ago. Still. She had that same look in her eyes.

I remembered the lost daydreams I'd had in my first days as a vampire of a little girl with blonde hair and green eyes who looked around three, celebrating a birthday, blowing out candles in Dela's arms. She would kiss the girl's forehead, and smile at the spot where I would've been. 

The truth, of course, was that she had that little girl with someone else.

"I-Edward?" She gasped out, and I was suddenly sure. This was my Dela, changed into a monster like me. She looked slightly older than she had when I'd last seen her, and her beautiful dark red hair was a few inches longer. Her red eyes somehow still had a deep sapphire tint, so that they were slightly purple.

"Hi, Dela." I said. What are you supposed to say to your ex-fiance a hundred years after you both assume the other is dead? I don't think anyone knows.

"By God." she breathed as I pulled her into my arms. I inhaled, taking in the ever-familiar scent. As always, she smelled of roses and vanilla. I still found it comforting after so long.

I remembered her gentle and comforting voice. I remembered her when I got sick only a few days after my mother, and Dela caring for us when the hospitals were too crowded. 

Words were not needed nor wanted, as the message was clear: I missed you.