thirty-one

emily's pov

As soon as we got out of the car, we quickly went inside. Since it was getting late, we wanted to give Sandy the food we brought back for her from Rossi's before it got too cold. While we were walking to the door, we were smiling at each other and looking at the engagement ring. I also realized I had the big task of finding her a ring, one I could surprise her with.

When we entered the room, Sandy was sitting up on the couch with her phone in one hand and a glass of wine in the other.

"Hey mom, we're home!", JJ said as we walked in. "Hey, took you guys long enough", Sandy replied. "We brought you some spaghetti", I told her. "Oh, thank you. How'd the little party go?", She said. "It was good! It was nice to bond with our team, especially after this past week", I responded. "Uh huh. And the food was great", Jayje added.

Sandy walked over and grabbed the food from JJ, then sat down at the table. "I'm going to go get in the shower", JJ told us. "Okay, cool", her mom said. "I'll go after you", I said.

"Soooo, do you like the ring?", Sandy asked me almost as soon as JJ left. "Oh, I love it. It's perfect. But now I have to find one for her" I replied, smiling. "Well, let me know if you need any help with that", She responded, grinning and winking. "I will certainly need it", I told her. I got a warm feeling from talking to Sandy because I never had any real conversations with my own mother. We talked a little bit more, about JJ, me, Sandy, and then my own mom because JJ always took forever to shower.

"So, can you tell me about your mom? I mean, only if you want to", she asked. "Well, uh, you know, she's a diplomat, and she's an Ambassador", I answered. "What about your relationship with her?", she questioned again. "It's never been great. If I'm being honest, I was basically a disappointment child", I said. "Emily, there is no way you were a disappointment, I'm sure she loves you", she said back. "I know she probably loves me, and I love her too. It's just that she never showed it, the only time she every showed any emotion was when I messed something up" I said, frowning a little. "Well, I don't know what happened, but I know now that you're an amazing person and will be an even better wife, hopefully, to my sweet little girl", Sandy told me, smiling and grabbing my hands. "Thank you" I said, "that means more than you think". "Just know I meant every word of it", She told me. We smiled again at each other, and then we heard JJ rumbling around in the bedroom.

A few minutes later, she came out of the bedroom in pajamas. I stood up and headed for the shower getting ready to take my boot of my ankle and shower (standing on one foot) while JJ took my seat at the table.

jj's pov

"Did you have a good shower?" My mom asked me. "Yep, I mean, as great as a shower could be", I responded, laughing. "That's good" She replied, standing up and bringing her food trash to the garbage.

"You chose a good person to make your person, JJ", Mom said. "What do you mean?", I asked. "Emily. She's a great person", she replied. "Oh, I know. There's really no downsides to this relationship. No yelling about laundry or dishes, or arguing, at least not a lot", I answered. "That's good. I wish I would have had that", mom responded. "Well, I never thought I'd make it this far, if I'm telling the truth. I also never thought I'd find someone as amazing as Em, but I did", I told her.

"I'm just really happy for you guys" She said, then she stood up and began walking to her room,"good night, Jennifer. I love you" "Love you too mom. Wait. Do you have the cat?" I said. She spun around and looked at me, and said, "Yep. He's laying on my bed. He really loves me". "That's good, tell him I said good night", I told her. "Will do", she answered. We grinned at each other, and I got up and went to get some water.

I grabbed a mug from the cabinet that was a gift from Garcia. I filled it up with water from the fridge, and began the pretty short walk to Emily and I's bedroom.