thirty-six

jj's pov

I walked towards her and grabbed her by the arm. She slowly sat beside me on our bed. She didn't look at me.

"Emily. Please, please talk to me" I told her.
She pleaded with me. "JJ. I don't think it's too serious. I swear."
"Emily, I want to be your loving fiancee in this situation, but I'm about to turn into an evil, stern mom" I said, "and I will call every doctor from the hospital and your primary doctor until you tell me."
She looked over at me for the first time since I walked in the room and right into my eyes.
"JJ, I'm okay. It's not as bad as it seems. I'm pretty sure its just anxiety about being back at work. Making me nauseous" Em told me, "if it gets worse or something, then I'll let you worry but please, please don't stress over me, okay?"
"Do you promise to tell me if it gets worse?" I said, but she looked away. "Emily. Do you promise me?"
"I promise. I'm okay though. Please don't worry anymore," She said, a weak smile crossing her face.
"Ah. Okay. Uh, you ready to go to bed?" I asked, patting her leg and standing up.
"Yeah, I guess. Are we supposed to be early in the morning?" She questioned.
"No, just normal time" I replied, and we both slipped into our pajamas. Then we laid down in bed, facing away from each other.

Even though we weren't exactly on great terms, I still enjoyed just being in the bed with her.
"I love you" She whispered.
"I love you too baby" I said back.
After that, we both fell asleep almost instantly.

I slept through the rest of the night, but I still felt the bed move when Emily moved. One time I rolled over and looked where she used to be laying and she wasn't there. I could tell she wasn't in the bathroom because it was too dark and quiet for that, so I quietly tossed the covers off of me and got out of the bed. As I crept down the hallway, I peered around the corner and looked into the living room where Em was sitting with a glass of water in one hand and a pill bottle of some sorts in her other hand. After a minute she saw me staring at her and I thought she'd react differently but she just waved me over and pointed to the seat beside her on the sofa.

"What's in the bottle?" I asked.
She shook it and laughed, "It's just anti-nausea meds. I was going to try and eat again."
"Em, it's three in the morning. We're supposed to get up in three hours" I told her.
"I know, I just felt bad for making you worry. Couldn't stop thinking about it" She responded. "It's okay. Can I make you anything?" I asked again, rubbing my eyes. "Yeah, um, can you just reheat what you made earlier? Or I can do it," She answered.
"Of course I'll do it. Anything else?" I said.
"No that'll be good. You can go back to bed when you finish. I didn't mean to wake you, sorry J." She told me, leaning into me as we stepped into the kitchen.
"I'll stay up with you, if you don't mind" I told her.
"Okay" She smiled, then sat down at the table.

A few minutes later I brought her food over and sat down beside her. I scrolled through my phone a little bit, we talked a little bit. I tried not to watch her eat, because that's weird, but I wanted to know that she finished. And she did, for the first time in a while. Em sat the pill bottle on the counter and her plate in the sink before gesturing towards our room. The bed was cold again, but I fell asleep quickly with her warmth beside me.

emily's pov

After I ate what JJ gave me, the nausea and pain was only a little less than normal. I was uncertain of where the pain came from. It could have been my stomach, maybe my whole abdomen. I failed high school biology for a reason. I just decided to try a hide it again, and this time it worked. She fell asleep before I did, and as quietly as I could I went to our bathroom, the goal to not throw up again. That goal was not achieved.

When we woke up, I got out of bed first and got straight in the shower while she went to the kitchen. JJ told me she wasn't going to shower so I took and extra long time, thoroughly cleaning my body, and my thoughts. After I got out, JJ was getting dressed. I dried off and did the same, both of us putting on our own pants and each other's shirts. The joys of sharing a closet. I let my hair air-dry, not caring to blow dry it. As soon as she left the walk in closet we shared, I slipped the ring I bought her into my pocket. Then we did our make-up together, poured cups of coffee together, and got into my car.