Part 10

[Bethany's P.o.v]

I find myself wide awake at 3.32 am. I sigh, as I cuddle with my pillow even more, my arms wrapped tightly around the pillow allowing myself the illusion of temporary comfort. On any other day this would have suited me well enough, but I find myself bored, and tired of been cooped up in my room for so long. Maybe I should just start my morning I decide, as I start to move up and about. Since I didn't take much time to get ready, and eat breakfast I decided to walk to school today instead of opting for the bus. Maybe the walk will give me time to clear my head.

I take the longest route possible since it was pretty early, and I had plenty of time to reach school. I find myself walking in the forest, it was always so alluring, calming ,and blissful here. I felt so connected to the earth, must be a wolf thing hey. I start to sense another presence, and I look around to find Cole doing the same, stopping when he spots me . So much for a quiet peaceful morning without a Cane disrupting my life. He looked tired and lost, just like the other morning.

"We've got to stop meeting like this." I say whilst making my way over by the rock he was sitting on. I guess the new me is ready to burst through. He shifts abit making sure there's enough space on the rock for the both of us to sit on.

"Gosh I'm probably not making a good impression. The first time we crossed paths, I needed help with my shoulder, now I probably look like a depressed old man who doesn't seem to have his life in order." He says, chuckling at himself.

"Oh your poor girlfriend, however does she put up with you ?" I tease.

"Seriously though, I don't judge. We all have our bad days, but it doesn't mean the good days aren't around the corner." I add.

"I just feel the good days are miles away you know. I just feel so suffocated, and lost." He says with a low voice, whilst looking down at the ground.

"Go on, you look like you need to get all that worries off your chest, that is if you want to." I encourage.

He thinks about it for a while as if his deciding on what to say, probably trying to human proof it to me I think.

"Okay so my dad is retiring from the family business soon. It's just I'm next in line to run it, and to fill the footsteps of the legacy he built. I don't feel I'll ever measure up to him, and the legacy that he has built for himself. All of my family, and friends look at me as if I can do no wrong. As if I'll lead exactly the way dad does. I just don't want to disappoint anyone. It's so hard when everyone just expects so much from you." He says.

"Whoa easy there! First of all your dad is retiring, but it doesn't mean he won't be around to guide you on really challenging matters you know. As for measuring up to his footsteps, forget about it. You're not your dad. You are your own person, you think ,and see things differently from your dad. It's these little things that will not only further your dad's legacy, but it will build to it. You'll create something phenomenal on your own. Sure your going to make mistakes on the way, you're human, these things happen. Don't forget you have your family members who won't stir you in the wrong direction, you have your gut feeling, and your experience from watching your dad. It may look, or feel daunting, but hey you shouldn't let that scare you away from embracing your future." I say with a smile on my face.

"Thank you Bethany, I guess I didn't think off it the way you did. You have a way with words you know." He says.

Before I could reply back, I hear someone faintly shouting for attention in the background. It's coming from his back pocket, but I have to ignore it. There's no way, I'd be able to explain how I heard that. Cole heard it too, because the next thing he does, is reach for his phone in his back pocket. He brings it to his ears.

"You butt dialed me again babe, I'm just happy you accidentally butt dialed me for this one, now put me on speaker." I hear a female saying to Cole. It must be Erin, his mate.

"Shit sorry babe, I didn't mean to butt dial you. You heard everything damn. Okay sure I'll put you speaker." He says looking at me slightly nervous.

"Hey Bethany, I'm Erin, Cole's girlfriend. Thank you helping Cole with his shoulder, and for snapping him back to reality. He has  just been so gloomy, and sad lately. It hurt me to have not been able to help him. I guess he needed to see the light abit differently. " Erin says warmly.

" Oh it's alright, Cole's a nice person, I'm just glad I could help out. Oh, and It was nice talking to you Erin."  I say with a smile on my face, but it's not like Erin could see it.

" You're a gem Beth, you know what? How would you feel if you, Cole and I got supper tonight? Our treat." She adds.

"Oh no, it's quite alright." I say.

"No no! I insist Beth. Besides it's not fair that Cole got to meet you, and I didn't. So how about it?" She asks.

I look at Cole, he looks amused, and then he says, "It would be best to agree to her, otherwise she'll personally come to you, and drag you all the way to the restaurant."

"I heard that Mister!" She says.

"How about instead of going out, you guys come over with pizza?" I suggest.

"Sounds great Beth, we'll will see you at 5. Bye Beth!" Erin says sounding excited before cutting the call.

"What just happened?" I ask Cole.

"My girlfriend Erin happened." He replies sounding abit proud.

"Since it's still early, what say we hang here for a little while longer, before we head to school?" He asks.

"Sure." I say.

"You know you've helped me so much lately, and I couldn't even ask you how you're holding up. You skipped school yesterday. I thought nothing of it, until I saw Blake looking restless for the rest of the day. I may have forced the truth out of him. He told me what he did to you. Erin was there when he told me, she really wanted to give him a go you know. Both Erin, and I are sorry for any pain he caused." He says with a low gentle voice.

"Its not your fault you know, I'll admit I did feel hurt for abit. I told myself though, that a strangers stupid dare shouldn't have the power to hurt me the way it did. I have the power to allow, and disallow peoples actions, and words to hurt me. I told myself no more, a part of me may have been sad, and upset, but the rest of me is still alive, and kicking. I didn't make it so far at the mere age of 17 to let myself feel down over a complete stranger. I may be 17, but I feel like a wise 30 year old." I tell him, deciding to open up a little. There was something soothing about Cole, and Erins presence. They felt like family, despite the broken bond I shared with Blake.

I know Cole, and Erin felt it too. Erin didn't see me as a threat when I was with Cole, and she truly seemed like she wanted to get to know me. Cole just felt like a long lost brother I never had.

"You know if I had a sister, I'd want her to be as brilliant, beautiful, and mature as you." He says earnestly, but also trying to lighten up the mood.

"Dude!" I fake gasp. "You just ruined the moment." I say sounding amused.

"I thought girls digged the sappy stuff." He says looking at me. We both burst out in laughter, before deciding its time to leave for he'll already, uh I mean school. I already skipped school yesterday, I didn't want to get into trouble for being late today, but then again the principal is a werewolf from Cole's pack. I'm sure Cole could persuade tell him to let this slide just this once.