Chapter 19

By the time 6:00 PM rolled around, I had already showered, put light makeup on, and changed into another dress. I still hadn't spoken to Nate, and I wasn't planning on it either. After Luther left, we both went out separate ways as if neither one of us existed. Thanks to the massive estate, it was easy to avoid him and pretend I was at some high-class resort by myself.

The doorbell rang at exactly 6:00 PM, alerting us of Luther's arrival. I wasn't even supposed to be attending this dumb dinner until Nathaniel thought it was a good idea to include me just to piss his father off even more. I thought about not coming at all, but I knew Nathaniel would throw a bitch fit, so I decided to save him future embarrassment and show up. All I have to do is sit there and look pretty for an hour; how hard could that be?

"Be on your best behavior," Nathaniel growled in my ear as we both made our way down the grand staircase. He was so close behind me. I could smell his spicy Egyptian musk, making my mouth water. It didn't smell like the usual cologne you buy at a cheap store but the complete opposite. The smell was rich as if he had it made just for him and him alone. His scent was so intoxicating I wanted to smash my lips against his just to inhale more of it. God, I need to control my thoughts.

"Don't talk to me like I'm a fucking child," I snapped, attempting to walk faster to get away from his captivating aroma, but he quickly gripped my elbow, halting my movements. His touch sent a shock of warmth shooting throughout my entire body.

I hated how a simple touch from him affected me this much. Why couldn't I feel sick or grossed out? Ever since that night, he cuffed me to the bed, my body had this yearning desire to be caressed and explored by him. As much as I hate to admit it, the reason I felt grossed out by Piero's touch was because he wasn't Nathaniel. And yes, I hate myself for that.

"Tonight is not the night to open that smart mouth of yours; just shut up and eat, do you understand?"

"Your daddy's waiting," I replied, snatching my arm out of his firm grip.

"Donna testarda," he muttered under his breath. (Stubborn woman.)

Instead of going to the door to greet Luther, I went into the dining room and sat down, waiting for the men to make their way here. The table of food to the left of me was covered in dishes ranging from Italian deserts to different variations of pasta.

The main table I was sitting at had a beautiful white lace covering with pearls hanging on the ends. Plates, bowls, forks, and spoons were placed neatly in front of the three chairs, two at the head of the table and one in the center, my seat.

In all honesty, I just wanted to get this dinner over with so I could go back to my room and binge watch Netflix shows like the pathetic loner I am. Right on queue, Nathaniel and Luther waltzed into the dining room, both wearing deep scowls on their faces.

Would it kill these men to smile for once and at least pretend they like each other? As soon and they took a seat, two housekeepers emerged from the kitchen and began serving us the delicious food the chef cooked, making it feel as if we were at a five-star restaurant. I assume that it was Luther's doing.

"Looks wonderful, thank you," Luther told Martha, the head of housekeepers, with a fake smile. She nodded politely before shuffling out of the already tense atmosphere, disappearing into the kitchen along with the other housekeeper I have never seen before.

"So Nate," Luther cleared his throat before taking a sip of his wine sitting beside the plate of food. "How's work coming along?"

"How about you ask what you really want so we can get this over with," Nathaniel spoke calmly, clutching his fork tightly.