Chapter 44

As promised, Nathaniel never left my side for the next two weeks while I stayed with him and healed.

During the day, I'd be in his office with him while he worked, taking endless amounts of calls while I either read a book, napped, or watched him in adoration. Sometimes when he had a break, he'd join me on the couch to cuddle or just lay there with me in his arms while he thought of the next business deal.

Stella, Theo, Carter, and Gabrielle came over some days for movie night or game night. I had to beg Nathaniel to join us, of course, but all it took was a little persuasion.

The last two weeks were the happiest I'd ever been in my entire life. I no longer had nightmares of Brandon, nor did I see his chalky face whenever I closed my eyes. The fear I had with elevators was now gone, thanks to Nathaniel and the bruises that covered my body were all healed.

Deep down inside, I knew I shouldn't have gotten caught up in the fairy tale life I was living, but I did anyway because for once, it wasn't filled with darkness and turmoil, just full of pure bliss, but whatever goes up must come down.

"You know I don't need to go with you, right?" I whispered to Nathaniel as we laid in bed together, my eyes still heavy from waking up.

He sighed heavily and trailed his fingers up and down my arm, creating goosebumps in its path. "I told you you're not leaving my sight."

"It's been two weeks; I'm completely fine now, I don't need you to babysit me anymore, and if I need anything, I'll call Stella or Carter."

"Or you can just come with me," he countered, brushing his lips against mine.

"You're not going to give up, are you?"

"No."

I rolled my eyes and climbed on top of him, and his arms immediately wrapped around my waist and slid down to my ass.

"Fine," I mumbled into his neck, inhaling his spicy scent.

We stayed there soaking in the sweet moment for a few more minutes until it was time to get up and get ready.

"It won't be more than twenty-minutes like last time," Nathaniel informed me as we made our way to Creed Industries for another one of his meetings.

I nodded, acknowledging his words, my head still pressed against the cool window as I continued to drown myself in my thoughts.

"Anastazi."

"Hmm?" His voice jolted me out of my trance.

"What are you thinking about?" Nathaniel quickly glanced over at me with concern etched across his face as if this wasn't the first time he asked me that question.

"Nothing," I lied, flashing him a bright smile to make it more believable.

His hands gripped the steering wheel tightly as he nodded with his jaw clenched, clearly not believing what I said.

"It's not what you think," I whispered, weaving my fingers through his hair, something he secretly enjoyed but would never admit. "I haven't thought about him in a while now."

"Would you tell me if you did?" Nathaniel asked, his eyebrows raised slightly.

No.

"That's what I thought," he grunted, already knowing the answer.

"You can't blame me, Nathaniel; you always overreact."

"I don't overreact."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes in irritation. "Okay."