Chapter 60

My heart immediately dropped to the floor, and my hands that were drowning in Nathaniel's sleeves started to tremble, but not from fear, from pure disgust and hatred.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I hissed lowly, doing my best not going to bring any attention to this table. I needed to end this conversation as quickly as possible before Nathaniel got back. If he saw his father sitting alone with me after what he said in Italy, all hell would break loose.

Luther smirked innocently and stroked his peppered beard before straightening the black bow tie around his neck that matched his dark tailored suit. "Can't a man come out and support his own son?"

"Cut the bullshit Luther," I snapped viciously as my eyes darted around the spacious room, searching for any sign of Nathaniel, which widened the smile on Luther's face. "Why are you really here?"

He cleared his throat and clasped his hands together, leaning forward so that I wouldn't miss a word that came out of his foul mouth, his deep brown eyes penetrating my soul. "I have a proposition for you."

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and leaned back, trying to process why he would think I'd listen to anything he had to say. "What makes you think I'd do any type of business with you?"

"Because," he began. "I can help you fulfill your father's lifelong dream."

My eyebrows raised in amusement. "And what would that be?"

"To get Faye Industries back on its feet and become one of the largest investment firms in the world, something he worked so hard to accomplish before his tragic passing."

He was right; my father's lifelong dream was to become the largest investment firm in the world, which he spent most of his life working towards until the day he died. That's the reason he was absent for most of my childhood, the reason I longed for my mother and wished I could do anything to get her back just so I could feel loved.

But his deal meant absolutely nothing to me. The contract I signed with Creed Industries was still active, which meant I was bound to get Faye Industries back within the next two years. 

Luther's heavy voice pierced through my thoughts like a bullet, taking me by surprise with his next words. "And before you say anything about that useless contract you signed, I'll be able to get your company back no later than tomorrow morning."

My eyes widened in shock as I dug my nails into my palms and clenched my jaw, contemplating my next words. I wanted nothing more than to get Faye Industries back on its feet, which is why I started working at Creed Industries in the first place, but I knew Luther had an ulterior motive. He was going to want something in return for his "kindness," something big.

"And what do you want in return?" I asked through gritted teeth, disgusted that I was even entertaining his offer.

Luther shrugged and leaned back in his chair, a wicked smile plastered on his face. "Nothing too crazy," he chuckled darkly. "I just need you to end your relationship with my son....tonight."

I practically choked on my spit as my head snapped up to meet his intense gaze waiting for him to tell me this was just some kind of cruel joke, but the serious look written on his face told me everything I needed to know.

I laughed bitterly and shook my head in disbelief. "You can't be serious."

He had to be completely delusional to think I would ever betray Nathaniel like this, not after everything we'd been through to get where we are today.

"And why not?" Luther asked cocking his head to the side, his voice dripping with venom. "It came to my attention that he already fired you once and almost took away your chance of getting your company back; what makes you think it won't happen again?"

I opened my mouth to inform him that things were different now, but he beat me to it.

"And please," he waved me off dramatically adjusting the gold ring on his pinky. "Spare me the "things are different now" approach just because he made things between the two of you," Luther paused, searching for the right word. "Official. We both know my son is as unpredictable as they come, and there's no telling when he'll decide to fire you again when things don't go his way."

He continued. "All I'm doing is giving you the opportunity to avoid the inevitable and to save yourself and your company."

Luther slid his business card across the table, placing it right in front of me. "Take all the time you need to think this through, but I'll be willing to add a $10 million bonus if you make the right decision by tomorrow morning."

I swallowed hard as I stared down at the card that could possibly change my future. "Why are you doing this?"

Luther took a sip of his wine that was brought out for us a few minutes ago and sighed. "Ever since you walked into Nathaniel's life, he changed. I need the old Nathaniel back, the one that lived and breathed Creed Industries. The ruthless one that had no remorse for anyone else but himself, not this pathetic lover boy you turned him into."

"And if I refuse?" I dared to ask.

A throaty laugh escaped his lips. "You'd be a complete and utter fool to refuse this once-in-a-lifetime deal. Isn't this all you've ever wanted? Are you really going to let an unpredictable man that could leave you for someone else in seconds stand in the way of a very successful future that lies ahead of you?" He asked lowly tilting his head down.

"Nathaniel already owns a billion-dollar company. Don't you want the same, or do you want to spend the next two years living under his shadow while Faye Industries becomes known for being the fastest company to fail?"

I flinched back at his harsh words, but as much as it killed me to admit it, he was right. The more time that passed, the more Faye Industries became irrelevant. But with Luther's proposal, I could have my father's company up and running quicker than I ever imagined, but at what cost?

Was I really willing to throw everything away, including my relationship with Nathaniel, all to achieve my father's life-long dream?

So many chaotic thoughts swarmed my mind, but deep down inside, I already knew what my answer was going to be. Doing the unthinkable, I hesitantly swiped his business card off the table and stuffed it into my purse.

"You'll have my answer by tomorrow morning," I whispered, feeling puke rise from the depths of my throat as my stomach churned with uneasiness.

A wide smile stretched across Luther's face, blinding me with his pearly whites. "I have no doubt you'll make the right decision," he voiced proudly, standing up and buttoning up his suit jacket before stretching his hand out to shake mine.

I felt nauseated the entire time I shook his rough hand, but I knew what needed to be done. Once Luther finally left, I sunk down in my chair with only one thought in my mind.

How was I going to tell Nathaniel?

--

A/N: AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! O: