Chapter 59

Despite me arriving late, Tessa and Macy took their time doing my hair and makeup, and by the time they both finished two hours later, I was completely unrecognizable. My hair was neatly pinned on one side with beautiful diamond hair pins leaving my curled locs cascading down the other side of my face. Tessa did an amazing job with my makeup, using emerald green eyeshadow on my eyelids and placing mini diamond studs along the curve of my eye in place of eyeliner.

"Oh my god, you guys outdid yourselves," I whispered, staring back at my reflection in complete and utter awe.

Tessa clapped happily, jumping up and down as Macy bowed down playfully at a job well done.

"My turn," Dorthy announced as she shoved her co-workers aside, dragging me out of the room and into another where she would be helping me put on the dress. Tessa and Macy followed closely behind us, not wanting to miss all of their work coming together.

"Okay, close your eyes," Dorthy instructed as she ran into the walk-in closet to retrieve the gown.

My stomach bubbled with excitement the entire time they helped me put on the dress, and by the time Dorthy zipped up the back, my patience had run out.

"Can I see now?" I asked desperately, fiddling with my fingers.

"Not yet," Dorthy laughed as she tapped my leg for me to lift it so she could put the heels on.

"Oh my god, this is so pretty," Tessa whispered, slipping a necklace around my neck along with a bracelet and earrings.

Macy did her last finishing touches on my hair, making sure everything was in place before Dorthy said the magic words.

"Okay, you can open them now."

My eyes immediately shot open, and when they landed on my reflection in the full-length mirror, my jaw dropped to the floor.

I dramatically stood there frozen in disbelief, not being able to form a single word. The A-line dress was emerald green and strapless with a deep v-neck that revealed a generous amount of my cleavage. The gown draped down to the floor and had a long slit on the side starting from below my hip, exposing my entire tanned leg. Dorthy paired the dress with beautiful diamond-studded heels that matched my diamond jewelry and the pins in my hair. (See picture above.)

I looked like a real-life Disney princess.

"I am literally speechless," I finally whispered, turning my attention to the talented women behind me. "I don't even know how to thank you, guys."

Tessa beamed brightly and dramatically swiped invisible tears from her face. "Just call us for your wedding, and we'll be even."

I nearly choked on my spit, but quickly laughed it off before they could notice. "Deal."

After thanking them a million times and exchanging numbers and hugs, they eventually left, leaving me alone to find Nathaniel. I figured he was already dressed and ready, waiting for me in the foyer like he usually does seeing that it was already nearing 9 PM, the time the ball started, so I quickly grabbed the silver clutch Dorthy gave me and made my way down the spiral staircase. The heels were surprisingly easy to walk in, and with every step I took, the more nervous I became for Nathaniel to see me in the dress he picked out.

Disappointment flooded my body when I finally made it down the stairs and found the foyer empty with only Mary, the housekeeper, shuffling around with a duster in her hand.

"Oh my, you look beautiful," she gasped when she turned around and saw me.

"Thanks, Mary," I smiled back, trying my hardest not to show how I felt. "Have you seen Nathaniel around by any chance?"