Chapter 36

Everything around me was blurry, the crowd, the lights, the booths, it was like seeing through hard prescribed glasses that wasn't your own. I continued stumbling through the heavy crowd of people, not knowing where I was headed; I just needed to get far away from Brandon. My head my pounding, and the piercing ringing in my ears were starting to irritate me even more.

Even though I couldn't feel the extent of my injuries due to the sudden rush of adrenaline I experienced, I knew I needed to leave. I needed to go home because I didn't know how much longer my body would allow me to stay conscious after all the stress it'd gone through over the last 24 hours.

I reached in my pocket to grab my phone to call Stella, letting her know that I'd be leaving, but it was empty.

"Fuck," I muttered to myself, running a trembling hand through my blood-smeared hair, remembering Brandon smashing it to bits against the wall.

I spun around for the third time since I left the alley, scanning the crowd to make sure I wasn't being followed again before stuffing my hands in my pocket and lowering my head to blend in. And to my luck, there in my other pocket was Stella's keys she told me to hold when we first arrived at the Carnival. If I wasn't in shock, I would've cried tears of joy.

I quickly stumbled into the parking lot, knowing exactly where Stella parked, and hopped into her bright car, locking the doors behind me. I took a deep breath and slouched down in the seat, taking a moment to gather myself. My vision was still a little blurry, but I could see objects in front of me, which was all I needed to make it home safely.

30 minutes later, I was back at my penthouse, limping into the lobby after parking her car right in front of the building. The adrenaline began to die down, and I could feel my brain starting to shut down from the immense amount of pain shooting throughout my body.

"Give these keys to Stella when she comes," I mumbled, dropping the keys on the front desk.

"Oh my god, Miss Faye, are you okay?" Jeff asked, leaning over the desk with an alarmed expression on his face.

I winced and nodded as I made my way to the elevator, not having time to stop and chat about what happened. "I'm fine."

As soon as the elevator stopped at my floor, I staggered out and collapsed onto my living room floor, pressing my cheek against the cool marble floor to ease the nauseating feeling invading my stomach. And as soon as I closed my eyes, my entire body shut down, and the pain was no more.

~

"I think we should call him now; it's been two days," a soft voice whispered from beside me.

"She wouldn't want that," another voice spoke up, a deeper one.

Why am I hearing voices if I'm dead?

"You know he'd want to know Carter," the soft voice whispered harshly.

Carter? How'd he get here? And who is this he they're referring to?

"It's not your call Stella, wait until she wakes up."

Stella's here too?

"Fine, but it's your funeral," Stella muttered.

"Guys?" I tried to speak, but my voice was stuck. I tried to swallow and clear my dry throat, but it felt like a surge of electrical jolts were penetrating my skin with every ragged breath I took.

I cracked my dry eyes open and was instantly blinded by the bright lights above. I squeezed my eyes shut and blinked rapidly, adjusting them to my new surroundings.

Where was I?

"Stazi? Stazi? Can you hear me?" Stella asked frantically, her face inches away from mine. I blinked again, focusing my eyes on my friend in front of me until my vision became completely clear.