Chapter 46

His eyes widened in surprise, and he opened his mouth to speak, but I didn't give him a chance.

"I've thought this through, Carter, and I think this is what's best for me. Nothing is keeping me here anymore; I lost my job, my company, and got attacked twice in the span of a fucking week, not to mention the shit that went down tonight."

"You'll crush him," Carter muttered, pain evident in his voice.

"I need to do this," I whispered, feeling tears forming in my eyes. "Things are fine between him and me now, but what happens when he's ready to move on? You saw what happened tonight; there will always be Bianca's in his life ready to make a move on him no matter what it takes, and I'd rather not be here when he's ready to leave me for one of them."

"Stazi," Carter shook his head in disbelief. "You don't know him like I do; he's changed drastically ever since you stepped foot in his office. It's only been you since then."

I shook my head, not wanting to hear it. "I want to believe that, but he's too unpredictable, reckless; one minute he's giving me the world, then the next, he's shutting me out and acting like I don't exist. I just don't want to stay here clinging on to the hopes that he's a changed man after I've already lost everything."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and wiped the tears falling down my face with the back of my hand. I rehearsed this speech in my head so many times before he came over but saying it out loud made it real than ever.

"Nathaniel isn't the relationship type," I continued. "It's no secret, so either way, this would be inevitable. I've made my decision Carter, I just wanted to tell you so it wouldn't come as a surprise when it's time for me to go."

"Shit," he muttered to himself, dragging a hand down his face. "Do you plan on telling him?"

I shook my head again. I didn't want him to know even though I knew it was wrong; I needed to leave him behind before he left me.

"When do you plan on leaving?"

"Two weeks," I mumbled guiltily.

I already hired a moving company; they were just waiting for me to say the word.

Carter sighed heavily and raked a hand through his brown locs. "Stella?"

I shook my head. I didn't tell her on purpose because I knew the moment I did, she'd run her mouth off to Nathaniel, and I needed this to be kept a secret for as long as possible.

"I'm going to be honest with you, Stazi; I don't like this at all, I think Nate deserves to know, but if you're absolutely sure, I'll support your decision either way."

"Thank you, Carter," I sighed, resting my hand on top of his.

He didn't say anything as he stood up and wrapped his arms around my body, giving me a comforting hug. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," I sniffled into his chest, feeling my heart break already.

Eventually, I let him go knowing he needed to get back to Gabrielle, and even though I knew this wasn't going to be the last time I saw him, saying goodbye hurt more than I expected.

I didn't hear from Nathaniel for the rest of the week, which I found surprising. I know I told him I wanted space, but I didn't think he'd actually give it to me. He had a reputation of ignoring everything I said and doing his own thing, but I guess he was done going against my word.

It was Sunday now, which meant I was moving in exactly a week. The moving company was scheduled to arrive in an hour, but I still couldn't find the energy to get out of bed. My eyelids were heavy from the lack of sleep I got, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't because of Nathaniel.