Chapter 91

The two merrows walk over to Astrila, who shifts when they are still a few meters away. She walks out of the shallow water of the pool to meet them, swinging her dark pelt over her shoulders.

"Queen Lahira?"

Kyma's mother nods. "Yes, that's me."

"I'm Astrila. It's nice to finally meet you."

"You as well. Would your other friend, Ro, happen to be anywhere nearby?"

Kyma shakes her head. "She can't come here, her body won't survive the pressure. She's also . . . busy."

Lahira raises an eyebrow. "Busy?"

"She's training with the Seelie and Unseelie courts. I don't know more than that."

"How long until she isn't busy?"

Kyma shrugs. "I have no idea."

Lahira sighs. "We'll need to go back to the kingdom soon. I came to get you, but we have to go back. Although, we don't have an ambassador to come in my place regardless of the situation." Kyma frowns for a moment as her mother shakes her head, a thought coming to her mind. "We can't wait for long. If you don't think we'll be able to see her soon, we will have to go now."

Kyma shakes her head. "I want to say goodbye. If I'm not able to say it to Ro, then there is no way I'm going to leave without saying it to Cáel."

"Who's Cáel?"

"My cridhe. We'd just need to go to the river, Mother."

Lahira sighs. "Very well."

~~~

Kyma wades into the water, calling silently. Cáel? Can you hear me? She mutters to herself. "I've never done this before, I don't know how it works."

There is a soft laugh from behind her. "I'd say you're doing it pretty well."

She shrieks, launching herself into the water as she turns to see Cáel standing behind her, a grin on his face. "What the hell!"

His smile fades slightly. "I didn't scare you too badly, did I?"

Kyma takes a breath. "No . . . but really? Did you have to do that?"

Cáel shrugs. "It was funny."

She sticks her tongue out at him. "For that, you're meeting my mother."

Cáel's face goes white. "I'm sorry, what?"

"You're meeting my mother. She's taking me back to the Western Merrow Kingdom now, so this is my chance to say goodbye."

"And you want to spend it by having me meet your mother? I feel like that's a bit strange."

Kyma shakes her head. "No, you're meeting her because you tried to scare me and meeting her is apparently scaring you. The goodbye is afterward."

He mutters, "That's a bit harsh. I didn't scare you anything near that level."

"Oh come on, she isn't that bad. Really!"

"If you say so."

Kyma has to drag him to the treeline, where her mother is waiting. Cáel and Lahira stand in silence for a few heartbeats, silently scrutinizing each other. Then Lahira turns to Kyma.

"He's far too much like you for my sanity."

Cáel blinks. "What? What makes you think that?"

Lahira smiles. "Kyma has that same expression on her face when she is nervous. And your smirk now - yes, that mischievous one - she has that too." She pauses. "I wish we could talk more, but we do have to get back. The kingdom isn't very comfortable without my presence. The swim is too long to waste time."

Cáel frowns. "There should be a faster way than swimming . . . what bodies of water are in your kingdom?"

Lahira appears to be a bit confused by his question, but she answers anyway. "The ocean of course, because we are on an island. We have a river that leads from a spring as well."

Cáel grins. "I know a shortcut."

"How? You don't even know where our kingdom is."

Cáel shrugs. "I don't, but you do. Kyma has the way to use our passages, she just needs to picture the river or spring in her mind."

Kyma's eyes widen. "It works outside of Scotland?"

"Of course it does. The only reason we don't use it outside of this area is because we had never seen the other places to travel to. Without those, we can't identify that branch of the passage. Try it."

Beaming, Kyma leads her mother and Astrila back down to the water. Cáel follows at her heels and Kyma looks back at him.

"Are you coming too?"

He raises an eyebrow at her. "You think I'm not? If I go with you, then I will be able to picture the area and visit you. No long swims from your home to Scotland, just a short trip."

"I'd like that."

Cáel laughs. "I thought you would. Now, shall we?"

With a smile, Kyma walks into the water and opens the passage, making sure that her mother and Astrila are keeping contact with either her or Cáel, who's hand is held in Kyma's. On the other side of the passage, Kyma lets herself fall back into the warm waters of the river, feeling the sun stream down on her face. Oh, how she's missed this place, the wonderful, constant heat. From somewhere nearby she can hear Astrila's groan and she lifts her head. Astrila is scowling, looking like she's tempted to pull her pelt off.

"How can you stand this heat? It's horrible!"

Kyma can't help but laugh. "I'm sorry, Star! I forgot that you're used to Arctic temperatures. You hadn't been mentioning it while we were in the Old Land."

"Because the Old Land wasn't that bad, it was just a bit too warm. This- this is stepping into fire. Also, don't call me Star now, it isn't needed."

Kyma glances at Cáel. "What are the extents of where the passage can go?"

"Rivers, lakes, relatively calm waters."

"Does it have to be freshwater?"

Cáel shakes his head. "It is easier to open the passage in freshwater, but no, it isn't necessary for the passage to be opened there."

Kyma grins at Astrila. "Do you want me to take you home?"

Astrila beams. "I love you, cousin, but yes. I desperately want to go home."

Her gaze turns wistful and Kyma laughs, her smile turning mischievous. "Is it just your home you miss?"

Astrila's mouth drops open. "Hey!"

Kyma lifts her hands. "Sorry, sorry. Come on." She glances at her mother and Cáel. "I'll be back in a few."

She opens the passage again and pulls Astrila through with her, the selkie shifting into her other form mid-journey. Kyma treads in the waters of the lagoon on the other side, grateful for the magic currently protecting her from the bitter cold of the arctic waters. Astrila hoists herself out of the water and grins at Kyma for a moment before she darts off across the snow like a rabbit, her feet flying. She shouts into the wind.

"Kōri! I'm back!"

With a laugh, Kyma sinks back down and opens the passage to return to her island home.
———————————————————————————————————————-
What did you think of this? Did you like Lahira and Cáel's interaction? What do you think will happen tomorrow, in the final chapter? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out