Chapter 87

Rowan takes a shaky breath as Andrian follows her father into the circle of trees. The trees create a circle of darkness inside the clearing, yet the Aos Sí standing against their trunks are somehow clearly lit.

Rowan shivers at the strangeness of the place, how wrong it feels. The gathered Aos Sí collectively inhale at the side of Rowan on Andrian's back, some of them muttering among themselves. One of the males steps forward, glaring daggers at Rowan and Andrian. He turns towards the Forest King and his gaze turns disapproving.

"Did you bring a kelpie to this summoning? Only the human girl and yourself were summoned."

Rowan's father doesn't say a word about Andrian, he just lifts his chin. "Why have I been summoned here?"

"Because you have aided a human in killing one of our own. This human. And not only did she kill a member of the courts, she killed a Lord of the Seelie. That is an unforgivable crime and your actions to assist her have become known."

Rowan can't hold the words in. "Did you even bother to learn the whole story before you started flinging accusations? Did you not think that it was within reason for me to defend myself from my great-grandfather when he tried to kidnap me, or kill me?"

She can see the flicker in the man's eyes as he grasps for something else. "We have no proof of your actions, that you are who you claim to be."

Rowan holds out a hand and a fire sparks to life in her palm, flickering merrily for a few moments before she dismisses it.

"Is that enough proof that I have magical blood for you?"

The man sighs and opens his mouth for another question.

~~~

Rowan stifles a groan at the next question. She's been answering them for at least two hours now, long enough for the sun to now hang low in the sky. Even with her attempt at hiding it, the groan slips out, a faintly audible sound. Andrian nickers over it, still in horse form. Rowan's mouth twitches in a smile and she pats his neck.

One of the court members steps away from the ring of trees and walks towards Rowan, casting wary glances at Andrian. She tenses and leans closer to Andrian's neck, unsure of what's happening. Andrian stomps his foot, sensing her unease. The man stops for a heartbeat before he continues, not long enough for most of the Aos Sí surrounding them to notice his moment of fear.

Rowan glances over at her father to see his fingers twitching, an indication of nerves when the rest of him is radiating a sense of calm. Feeling her gaze, his head turns towards her just slightly and he dips his head in a nod. He murmurs something in a low voice, just loud enough for her to hear.

"I had hoped they wouldn't do this. He is a truth-reader. He can see the world as it is, every truth we try to hide. He wants to read you, to know if you are telling the courts the truth. Don't fight him."

Rowan doesn't really want to know why her father didn't want the courts to bring a truth-reader into the situation. She slides off of Andrian's back and steps around him to stand beside her father as the truth-reader continues walking towards them, keeping one hand against Andrian's neck. The truth-reader stops in front of Rowan and stretches one hand towards her.

"Give me your hand."

Rowan slowly holds her hand out to him and he takes it, digging his fingers into her skin. Her hand burns white-hot and she tries to pull back, but the truth-reader's grip tightens. So Rowan stands there, biting her lip to keep from crying out in pain. When his grip loosens at last, she sags almost imperceptively. But the truth-reader doesn't let go of her, he instead turns towards the courts and speaks, his voice ringing.

"Her story is true." His grip tightens for a moment before he speaks again. "But there is something else."

Something brushes against Rowan's leg and she looks down to see a plant curling behind her and brushing against the soft skin of her calf. Emotions seep from the plant, anxiety and fear. Her gaze flickers over to her father as she realizes they are his emotions.

From what it looks like, Rowan's father doesn't even realize the plant has grown, or that it is broadcasting his emotions to her. Rowan is pulled away from dwelling on it when the truth-reader's grip tightens further, his sharp nails digging into her palm. She looks up to find him watching her, his gaze sharp and analytical.

"Drop the glamour. Show your face." When she doesn't move, his gaze narrows. "Either you drop it, or I will force it to drop."

Rowan steps back to Andrian's side, her father moving to shift closer as well. The truth-reader glares at him.

"It's your glamour, isn't it, Forest King? What are you hiding?"

Coillen doesn't say anything and the truth-reader raises his eyebrow. His nails dig into her skin so hard that blood wells and a wash of cold douses her.
———————————————————————————————————————-
Will the Forest King drop the glamour? What do you think is going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out