Chapter 66

The forest is beginning to lighten in the wake of the rising sun when Rowan hears movement on the riverbank behind her. She tenses slightly but doesn't turn. Someone sits on the bank beside her, their breathing slow and steady. Out of the corner of her eye, Rowan sees a flash of red hair. It's darker than her own. Rowan sighs and drops her head, trying to block the Unseelie King from sight. She can almost hear his frown. Rowan raises her head to look at him for a moment.

"What?"

He just raises an eyebrow at her. "What's wrong, Little Red?" Rowan glares at him and buries her head back into the circle of her arms. He nudges her, his voice soft. "What?"

"Don't call me that?"

"Then what do I call you?"

Rowan mumbles into her knees. "Just not that."

"Oh really? So I can call you Leaflet?"

Rowan's eyes widen and her head jerks up. "Where did you hear that?! I haven't been called that in-"

"Ten years. You haven't been called Leaflet for ten years."

Rowan nods. "How did you know?"

"I may not have been able to be involved in your life the way I would have liked, but I did watch over you the best I could. Besides, it wasn't that hard to see how close you were sticking to your mother then, as close to her as a-"

Rowan smiles softly. "A leaf on a branch?"

The Unseelie King nods. "Quite so. Now, what would you like me to actually call you?"

"Ro?"

"Like everyone else? I don't think so."

Rowan mutters under her breath. "Vain, aren't you?"

"Don't sass me, Leaflet."

Rowan glares. "Fine. You don't want to call me Ro, I don't know any alternatives."

He frowns. "What about an Aos Sí name?"

"I don't get it."

He laughs. "A name from our customs."

Rowan's brow furrows in confusion. "But weren't you the one to choose my name in the first place?"

He smiles. "Yes, but I didn't choose one of ours, not really."

"Why not?"

The Unseelie King lets out a bark of laughter. "Because I think your mother would have found it quite strange if I showed a preference for a strange, complex name. I chose one that was a bridge, a name that would-" He shakes his head. "That is beside the point. Answer the question. Will you let me pick a name?"

Rowan shrugs. "I guess."

The Unseelie King scrutinizes her for a moment, watching her with bright eyes. Then he nods. His eyes are gleaming and if she squints, she can see the beginnings of tears. But he looks confused as well, like he isn't quite controlling what he says.

"Your name of soul is Raearinkari Caorann. I will call you Rae." The last few words come out with a gasp.

The wind whips around them at his words and Rowan inhales in shock. "What just happened?"

His eyes are wide and frightened. "That was your true name. Hide it!"

Rowan shakes her head. "I don't understand. What do you mean that was my true name? I thought my true name was the name I was born with! It gave you power over me when you said it, so how can it not be my real name?"

"All names have power, the name you were given when you were born is the layer just before your true name, it is the closest in power to your true name. You must keep your true name safe."

"But how can that be my true name if I've never heard it before? Is that normal?"

"No. Most of the members of their courts earn part of their name at birth and the rest is inherently known. But for you, you were given a whole name at birth and your true one was hidden from you, perhaps by . . . It doesn't matter. You know your true name now, and I will ask you to remove it from my memories."

"Why? Would you use my name against me?"

"Not willingly. But removing the memory removes the risk. Do it. Protect yourself."

Rowan sighs and compelled by the Unseelie King's intense gaze, she pulls a runestone from her bag and pulls the memory room to the surface. The destroy rune follows after it and Rowan takes a breath.

"Are you sure about this?"

"It must be done."

With another breath, Rowan presses the stone against his forehead. He inhales sharply as light flashes between the stone and his skin. Rowan pulls it away the moment the glow fades, watching him carefully. The Unseelie King blinks a couple of times, confused. He frowns at her.

"What happened?"

"You had me remove a memory, you were trying to figure out a name to call me."

"Why would I have you remove a memory?"

Rowan nibbles on her lip. "I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want me to tell you that."

"Very well. Did we determine a name?"

Rowan nods. "I think so. You chose the name Rae."
———————————————————————————————————————-
Oooh. They found her true name. What do you think of it? Also tell me if you need to know how to pronounce it. What do you think he isn't saying? What do you think of their interaction? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out