Chapter 37

Rowan blinks in confusion. "The wind?"

Astrila nods. "Oh yes. The wind sings. It's a haunting melody, but it's so peaceful."

Mindlessly, she moves her fingers, swirling them through the air. A breeze picks up for a moment, stirring Rowan's hair and sending a lick of cold against her neck. Rowan shivers slightly.

Rowan frowns. "Am I able to hear it?" The concept of the wind singing is an interesting thought, she's curious what it would sound like.

Astrila frowns and shakes her head. "I don't think so. My siqiniq," she elaborates at Rowan's look of confusion. "My cridhe, he couldn't hear it when I could. I think it's because the wind speaks to me, it's part of my gift."

Rowan's eyes light up in curiosity. "How does the wind speak to you?"

Astrila shrugs. "In the music, whispering? I'm not entirely sure. I just get the message."

There's a soft rustling sound from the dome and Kyma emerges, her hair mussed around her head. She smoothes it down again, the straight locks quickly falling into place. She yawns and looks between Rowan and Astrila.

"What's going on?"

Rowan smiles. "Just chatting."

Kyma nods. "What are we going to do today?"

Rowan frowns in thought, but it only takes a moment for her frown to deepen. "The prophecies have said that we need to break the curse, but they don't say anything about how."

Kyma hums. "Do the kelpies know?"

Rowan shakes her head. "Absolutely nothing is known to them about how to break it."

Kyma groans. "So we've got nothing?"

Rowan sighs. "That's right." She glances at Astrila. "Do you have any idea of what we should do first?"

Astrila lifts a finger. "Give me a moment." She tilts her head like she's listening to something. Her brow furrows and then her eyes snap up to Rowan's. "Something's coming, something bad."

"How do you know?"

Astrila's eyes dart around her. She's scanning the clearing. Rowan doesn't understand why, she doesn't know what she sensed. But whatever it is, Rowan trusts the other girl's  instincts. Astrila does another sweep around the clearing and tenses herself, preparing to move.

"My magic told me."

Rowan shifts on her feet. Her voice is quick, demanding. "What exactly does it tell you?"

Astrila frowns. "It's hard to understand. My magic is saying something about cold light, cruel. The sun? A dark sun?"

Rowan's eyes widen. "The Seelie Lord. it has to be. We need to go."

Astrila frowns. "Running won't stop him. We need to fight him, Ro."

"But how?"

Astrila glances at the trees. "He's still a minute or two off. We can do this. You stay here, Ro. Wave and I will hide."

Rowan stares at Astrila with wide eyes. "But what do I do?"

"Uses your runes, or your gift with plants. You're smart, Ro. I know you can do this."

Rowan nods, trembling slightly. She slips her hand into her bag to grip a runestone, slipping it to her other hand. She grabs another one and steps back toward's the trees, away from where Astrila had looked when she spoke of the Seelie Lord. That must be where he'll come from. She can hear Kyma move toward the trees, leaves crunching beneath her feet.

She can see the flicker of movement as she reaches up and pulls herself onto one of the thick branches of the trees. She climbs higher, pulling herself out of sight. She doesn't stop until she's veiled in red and gold leaves, looking like patches of sky filtering through. If Rowan didn't know she was there, it would be almost impossible for her to see the other girl.

To Rowan's left, she can see Astrila duck behind a tree. Her dark hair and skin help her to blend into the dark, the shadows turning her into a knot in the wood. Rowan's fingers twitch nervously. One of the trees behind her reaches out and touches her back reassuringly, trying to calm her.

She sucks in a breath and exhales, stepping back against the tree's bark. She touches the bark with her fingertips, stroking the rough material. Warmth surges between her and the tree, sending her fingers tingling. Rowan inhales sharply as the energy floods into her. She flattens her palm against the bark and whispers to the tree.

"Thank you."

There is a soft crunch from the opposite end of the clearing and Rowan turns. It's the Seelie Lord, his face thunderous. Rowan gulps. It's time. She can't run, she doesn't have a choice but to fight. But it feels different than when she encountered him before. It may have only been two minutes of preparation, but it's something.

She has more stable footing this time around. But even so, she can't look at his face without shivers running down her back. His green eyes bore inter her, full of malice. He may have only wanted to drag her back with him before, but she has a feeling that if he takes her this time, her circumstances will be a whole lot worse.
________________________________________________________________________________
Was Astrila right to make Rowan stay? What do you think Rowan will do? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.