Chapter 48

Ro stands there for a moment, thinking of a good question. Astrila almost moves to touch the girl's shoulder, but the younger girl speaks before she can.

"With the plainest speech you can manage, tell me how to break the curse cast on the kelpies by the Seelie Lord."

The Ben Sídhe blinks, her charcoal eyes turning owlish, and speaks. Her voice takes on a strange ringing tone, reminding Astrila of something. But she can't quite put words to it, she can't pinpoint the familiarity. "When new and ancient meet as one. When all three together bound, meet the blood of cursed magic found. A brimming storm awaits within. Barriers will break and curses shatter."

Astrila blinks in surprise. There are similarities here to the other prophecies, but there are new things too. She shares a glance with Ro and finds her to be thinking the same thing. Yet another prophecy to unravel. Astrila frowns at the banshee woman.

"What step should we immediately take to fulfill this new prophecy?"

When the Ben Síde speaks, her voice no longer holds the echo from the prophecy. "Follow the world and search within. Answers you seek lie hidden there."

Ro grimaces. "I believe you were meant to give us plain answers."

The banshee woman glares at Ro, her teeth suddenly sharp and gleaming. "I am saying what I can. Forces are working against you, Child of Twin Peoples."

Astrila can see Ro shudder, curling her arms around herself. "How do we look within?"

The woman sighs and her voice softens. "You already have the knowledge you desire. Use it, child. The world around you will turn right in the end. And you-" she spins to point to Kyma, still standing between the banshee and the river. "The thing you dread is coming, but do not fear."

Kyma pales. "How-"

The banshee shakes her head. "I am not sworn to further answers. Let me pass, Daughter of the Waves."

Kyma's gaze flickers over to Astrila then back to the banshee woman, still staring unblinkingly at the merrow girl. She steps aside, settling the water in her grasp back into place. The banshee surges past her, walking right to the river and dissolving into mist. Kyma takes a step up the riverbank and stumbles, her legs almost crumpling beneath her. Astrila darts forward to catcher her cousin, keeping her steady.

"You alright?"

Kyma nods shakily. "I'll be fine. I just need to rest."

"What's wrong?"

Kyma flushes, mumbling beneath her breath. "I may have held the water for too long?"

Astrila's eyes widen. "Kyma!"

Kyma's flush deepens. "I know, I know. I made a mistake. I'll be fine, I just need time to rest."

"I'm not going to just leave it! You're already angering your mother by being here without your guard. I may not have met her, but I'd like to not anger her."

Kyma winces again. "Can we just not tell her about this?"

Astrila stays silent, looking to Ro. "What do we do know?"

She looks down at her hands. "The Ben Síde said to look within and . . . to follow the world? I'm not sure what that meant."

Astrila hums, thinking. "We followed the trees here, and my winds sometimes lead me. Could that be what she meant? Let the elements guide us?"

Ro's eyes widen. "Yes, that could be it. But when? Do we go now, or wait?"

"I think we should figure out what the Ben Síde meant by looking inside before we do anything else."

Ro grimaces. "Look inside our heads, maybe?"

Australia shrugs. "And how would we do that?"

"The runes might work." Ro reaches into her bag and pulls out one of the runestones, holding it in her palm. She frowns at it. "We have to look inside ourselves, so a sight and truth rune? I'm not sure if that will let us see inside ourselves, but a memory rune won't work either. It doesn't feel right."

Astrila shrugs. "It won't hurt to try, will it?"

Ro nods, murmuring to herself. Her eyes brighten. "What about a hide rune? If I combine sight, truth, and hide, it might show me a hidden truth."

Astrila smiles. "Try it."

Ro nods again and inhales shakily, staring down at the stone in her hand. Her eyes narrow and she grimaces, still staring at it. Then she raises the stone to her forehead and presses it against her skin. Her eyes slide closed and she stands there for a few heartbeats, utterly still. Then she collapses onto the earthy forest floor. Astrila darts over to the girl, shaking her limp form.

"Ro? Ro!"

Ro's eyes stay shut, the runestone still tightly clenched within her hand.  Not only that, but she's also still pressing it against her forehead. It's as if the stone is attached to her skin, it won't be shaken loose.
________________________________________________________________________________
That prophecy from the banshee was the very first that actually popped into my head, all the others where created around it. What do you think of it? What about the other things she said, what do those mean? What happened to Rowan? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.