Chapter 80

Kyma stares at the water of the river. It has thawed substantially, but there are still large chunks of ice. She can see Rowan twitching off to the side, she wants to walk into the icy water and try to make it to the pocket realm. Astrila needs to actually hold her back, otherwise she would already be in the water and making herself sick.

The sun is high in the sky and Kyma hasn't received any responding message from Anabla and Cailean. She hopes they had enough time to retrieve it and make their way up the river, but what if she misjudged the time needed? She's about to turn to Astrila in her worry when there is a sound from downstream, water crashing together.

There is an accented swear in Gaelic, soft on the wind, and then a canoe made of water appears. It maneuvers smoothly around the small ice floes, although not as easily as Kyma had learned to do it under Astrila's guidance. But the merrows here may not have had to do this before and they definitely didn't have someone who has guided a boat through ice during much of their life teaching them.

The boat slows to a stop in front of Kyma and Anabla climbs out, quickly followed by her brother. The boat dissolves back into a puddle of water a moment later, all that remains is Kyma's familiar. It flits back over to her and she cups it in her palms. She releases her hold on the familiar and it collapses, water trickling through her fingers. Anabla frowns at Kyma, her brown hair tucked beneath her red cap.

"Why is the river iced over?"

Kyma glances over at Rowan. "It's kind of a long story?"

"Really? Tell us."

"I thought you would want to know about your mother first."

Cailean scoffs. "I think the river being iced over is a bit more concerning than whatever our mother may be up to. So what happened?"

Kyma sighs. "I suppose the two stories are part of each other actually. But I'm not sure where to start."

"Then tell us who that is." Cailean points to Rowan.

Kyma frowns. "How much do you remember of our first encounter?"

"When we taught you how to create a water message? Almost all of it."

"Do you remember what your mother said?"

Anabla and Caiean exchange a confused look. "No, actually. But what does this have to do with her identity?"

Rowan sighs and steps towards the two young royals, edging close to Kyma's side. "I suppose . . . I'm your cousin."

Anabla blinks, her eyes widening. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I'm your cousin."

"How?"

Rowan sighs, wincing slightly. "Your mother's father is my great-grandfather."

"How would you know this?!"

"Because your mother told them," Rowan points at Kyma and Astrila, "when they visited your kingdom."

"I don't remember that." Anabla looks at her brother, who nods.

"I don't think anything about that was said, either. So you're lying."

"I can't really lie, actually." Rowan pauses and grimaces slightly like she ate something sour. "No, I suppose that isn't quite right. I can't lie without feeling pain, although full-blooded Seelie or Unseelie can't lie at all."

Anabla shifts on her feet, moving into a defensive position in front of her brother. "You're part Seelie?"

"Don't look so horrified, you are too." She laughs slightly at their shocked expressions. "Your grandfather, my great grandfather, he was a Seelie Lord."

"Was? What happened to him?"

Rowan stiffens her spine. "He's dead."

"Did you kill him? Why?"

Rowan grimaces. "I didn't really mean to. He kept trying to kidnap me and when I fought back, he was going to take me by force. When I defended myself, he ended up dead."

"Why was he trying to kidnap you?"

"He was obsessed with my family. When my great-grandmother escaped him, he tried to hunt her down. He might have given up on the hunt if he hadn't found me in the woods." Kyma touches Rowan's shoulder in a comforting gesture.

Warmth spreads across Anabla's face. "I'm sorry. That's terrible."

Rowan smiles and dips her head. Cailen is watching them carefully, his expression soft. He stays quiet until he can't hold the questions in any longer.

"What were you going to tell us about our mother?"

Rowan chews her lip. "It's better to not really tell you."

"What do you mean? Why not? Why would we be summoned here if you weren't going to tell us?"

"I was trying to say that showing you would be better."

Anabla steps forward, an eager light in her eyes. "How?"
————————————————————————————————————————
How do you think they will react to the truth? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out