But I also had the feeling Sky was now with me because he was so shy and quiet. It wouldn't have been the first time my teachers had encouraged me to help out new students. Most of the teachers were great people, and they must've noticed Sky having trouble making friends.

I had definitely noticed it. He didn't seem to have any friends at school, and I'd heard he just moved across the country, so I didn't believe he had any friends in the entire city. He always seemed sad and lonely when I saw him, and I knew some of the others had tried to start picking on him. I'd seen people laughing at him when he was picking up trash at the schoolyard the other day.

My stop came into view, so I got ready to get out. Once outside, I started walking through the darkening street, still thinking about Sky and our project.

I was happy to have him as my partner, and help him around at school if he needed it, but the project itself was making me concerned. I needed perfect grades, and since the project affected it, I was getting worried.

Sleeping in the forest wasn't even my biggest concern. The more I thought about it, the stronger I felt that choosing owls as our subject wasn't such a great idea after all. As a subject it did sound cool, but how the hell were we going to study them? Even if we did find them, how were we supposed to see them in the middle of the night?

I had so many doubts, but by the time I reached my front door, I had decided to trust Sky on this. He was the nature guy, not me, and if he knew what he was doing, we could end up with one hell of a project. One that could even earn me some extra credit.

*****

When I woke up at six the next morning, I was still really tired. Since I had spent so much time with Sky after practice, I had to stay up late to finish all my schoolwork. I couldn't afford to half-ass anything, so it had been way past midnight when I finally went to bed.

After I turned off my alarm clock, I rolled on my back and stared at the ceiling. I really should've gone to bed earlier... Some of the homework I did last night wasn't due until the day after tomorrow, so I could've done them later. But I was afraid that if I started postponing them regularly, it would become a slippery slope that ended with me not doing them at all.

And my dreams would be ruined for good...

I turned my attention to one of my framed posters on the wall. Taj Mahal. I loved the way the sunset colored the white, gorgeous building in that picture. I loved everything about it. The tall towers and the smooth surfaces... Even the long pool leading up to the entrance.

Slowly, I turned to look at the other posters. Burj Khalifa. Chrysler Building. Petronas Towers. The Gherkin. Sagrada Família. Louvre. The Pantheon... The list went on. There was not an inch of free space on my walls anymore. It was all covered in dozens of pictures of the most beautiful buildings I had ever seen. Some of them didn't even exist anymore.

That was my dream, and I suddenly didn't regret my decision to stay up late.

I had always loved to create, and I loved all the human-made structures. I loved everything about both old and new buildings, and I wished that someday I'd be able to make something just as amazing as the creations in my posters. Or better yet, something that combined the delicate beauty of the old ones and the modern harshness of the new ones.

That was why Sky and I were so different. To me, nature was only an interesting detail next to the buildings. Like a tree or a batch of grass or something. I did believe keeping our earth clean was the way to go, and animals were fun to watch, especially when they did something silly, but I didn't understand why it was such a big deal to Sky. But I did understand his love.