3. The Hot Jock

-Max-

-Max-

I completely lost track of time while hanging out with Sky at the coffee shop. We spent a few hours reading through the papers Mr. Jones had given us, making plans on how we were going to do the project. Well, I let Sky make most of the decision since I had no idea how we were going to follow a couple of owls, but I had still fun talking with him, nonetheless.

But the project itself... I wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into, but I had to admit, I'd never had a school project quite like this one. When Mr. Jones brought it up for the first time, I had thought it would be an easy way for me to earn my grade, but now... I wasn't so sure about it.

Talking about it with Sky was all fun and games since his enthusiasm was really contagious, but after I had walked him to the bus stop and made sure he got on it in one piece, I was starting to have my doubts.

And not just doubts. For one, camping. That was going to be quite... something. I still wasn't sure if I liked the idea of staying the night outside. Sky had promised there weren't any bears or wolfs around, but how could he be so sure about that? Also, even if it was safe to go camping, there were no toilets or showers or beds in the forest.

Usually, I wasn't such a whiny bitch, and I always tried everything at least once before forming an opinion, but this time I wasn't sure if I could do it.

I leaned my head back in my seat with a sigh, staring outside the bus. Forests were so out of my comfort zone...

Sky seemed to have the exact opposite opinion on the matter. He certainly was a weird kid, but not in a bad way. I had never met anyone who could get so enthusiastic over something, and I was glad he forgot to be shy when he started talking about nature. When I found out he was going to be my partner, I honestly thought it wasn't going to work out. I mean, he'd barely even looked at me at first, and getting him to talk had seemed like too much to ask.

Thankfully, that wasn't the case. I now knew how to get him out of his shell. The guy clearly, obviously loved nature. Even thinking about him talking about it brought a smile to my face. His excitement really was contagious. Breath of fresh air.

Different.

I didn't know much about animals, so in a way it was a jackpot for me to have him as my partner. Getting a high score from the project was another step towards my dream. A dream I'd busted my ass off for.

I peered at an old, tall building the bus passed by, trying to memorize all the details with one glance.

To become an architect...

I had the feeling Mr. Jones had deliberately partnered me with Sky. The two of us were so different. I didn't really care much about nature; I was more of a city person, but he seemed like the kind of guy who could live in an ascetic hut somewhere in the middle of prairie or in the deepest parts of a forbidden jungle. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd been in a forest.