76. The Real Flaws

-Troy-

-Troy-

I never thought I'd be spending half of this weekend in a hospital. It took hours before we were finally allowed to take that growling hissy fit of mine home. Luke was not happy, but he was pretty good at containing it. He kept rolling his eyes and muttering how everything sucked, but he wasn't as angry as I thought he would be.

That was until the first crisis hit.

Pants.

"I'm telling you! Not! Big! Enough!" the bear growled behind the curtain, trying to get into his college pants.

"Oh dear," Mrs. Frost mumbled, holding a hand over her mouth. "Those were the biggest I could find..."

We heard an exaggerated sigh and a small thud, indicating that the pants just flew on the wall. "I'll just go in my fucking underpants! I'm not staying here a minute longer!"

I heard light snickering coming from behind us. The other patients in the room were acting like they weren't paying attention, but there was no way anyone could just not pay attention when Luke got mad.

"Well, I have scissors," Gwen said, rummaging through her bag. "We'll just cut the leg off."

"Mine or the pants?" Luke grunted. "Better be mine because I'm not fucking–"

"Okay!" I said, exaggerating my cheery tone, interrupting him. "Can I come in?"

"...fine."

I rolled my eyes when I sneaked past the curtain to see him lying on the bed, looking like he was about to go on a rampage.

"We can make it work," I told him, sitting down next to him. "I know the situation is grim, and it might feel like there's no hope, but together, we can conquer this crisis! We can do this! I know we can! You will leave this hospital wearing pants like the victor you are, but we will fail if you give up now!"

Man... When he started laughing at my little act, his low voice resonated somewhere so deep inside me I had to lean in to give him a short kiss. When I pulled away, he was smiling, but it wasn't as happy as I hoped. I could almost see his thoughts through his eyes. His darkness was close by.

"It's just a cast," I said quietly. "You don't have to worry about anything – I'll take care of you."

He let out a deep breath that sounded partly like a groan. "Stupid leg..."

"It's just temporarily out of order." I smiled and pecked his lips again. "Just for a few months, it's no big deal."

I got up and peeked behind the curtains, and Gwen gave me the scissors. Then I went to fetch the notorious pants from the floor, measuring them with my eyes.

"So, how would you like your pants?" I asked.

"Medium rare," he replied jokingly, and I laughed.