37. Sunshine

-Troy-

-Troy-

Luke didn't show up at the football practice, and our coach was furious. He went on and on about how important it was for us to practice before the big game, and after he was done ranting, he just left, telling us to show up the next day.

I listened to the others complaining quietly about it. Stephen seemed to be the angriest of them all. He kept staring at me, like he knew it was my fault that Luke didn't come, or then he just wanted to show me that he wasn't afraid of talking complete bullshit about Luke in front of me.

I didn't give a damn. He and his buddies acted all brave and shit, but no one had the guts to say the same things when Luke was hearing. None of them even had the guts to go talk to Luke about their issues with him. Everyone complained about Luke's antisocial behavior, but I had never seen anyone even trying to get to know him. Ronny was the only one, but I guess it was because they were so similar.

Max patted my shoulder when we returned to the locker room to change our clothes, and he kept giving me concerned looks. I wasn't in the mood for talking, and it always made him nervous. The truth was that I was too nervous to concentrate on talking. It felt like Friday was coming way too fast, and way too slowly at the same time. I couldn't concentrate on anything. I just kept wondering what I should do and how I felt.

"Do you want to come with us to the mall?" Max asked when I was ready.

I thought about it for a moment but ended up shaking my head.

"I need some time to think," I explained, and he nodded.

"Don't worry about it too much, okay?" he said. "You'll figure it out, eventually."

Some of the teammates gave us some curious looks, but I turned my back on them. The last thing I needed was for them to know what was going on. Almost everyone seemed to accept that Max and Sky were gay, but I did not want anyone else to know that Luke had a crush on me. I was pretty sure that Luke didn't want anyone to know about it, and I was confused enough as it was without people sticking their nose in.

I followed Max out of the sports halls, and after we said our goodbyes, he went to get Sky from the bleachers while I headed to the bus stop. I saw a couple of our teammates heading in the same direction, and when they spotted me, they tried to gesture for me to join them. I just shook my head, and before I even knew it, I had walked past the bus stop, but I didn't stop. I just kept going, no matter where my feet were taking me.

"You really should get your shit back together," I muttered to myself at some point and sighed hard.

Was it even possible for me to figure things out? I had been trying to figure things out ever since Luke asked me out, but I still didn't know the answer. I should have just told him no and be done with it, but every time I had tried, the words just didn't come out. Why? I wasn't attracted to the guy! Or any guy, for that matter!