67. Fresh Air

-Luke-

-Luke-

Ronny knew, even though I hadn't said a word about Troy and I. I was fairly sure I'd kept all my emotions to myself as well. How did he know...? And what did he mean by saying that people were starting to notice? It was frustrating to wait for the class to end so I could talk to him again.

When we were finally free to go, I stood up and walked to Ronny, who was gathering his belongings like he didn't have a care in the world.

"Luke," he said, grinning at me shortly.

"Ron," I squinted my eyes at him.

People around us gave us curious looks, so I had to do something about my expression. It wasn't easy when I wanted to strangle the guy for dropping a bomb like that on me just before the class was about to start, so I'd had to spend the entire period in agonizing anxiety.

Troy would never forgive me if this thing got out. If Ronny was right, and people really were starting to notice, that meant I had to stay away from him. No matter how much I hated Troy's father, I'd hate myself even more if he lost his home because of us. I couldn't let that happen, no matter what. As long as that threat was looming over us, I wouldn't even look at Troy if that's what it took to keep our secret safe.

I waited in anxiousness for Ronny to get up and follow me. We got out of the classroom and started moving to the next one. I slowed down, letting the others walk ahead of us, and once we had no one close enough to hear us, I turned to look at Ronny.

"I swear to God–"

"God?" Ronny laughed, and I couldn't say it sounded friendly. "You can speak His name? Fag," he mouthed the last word.

I stopped walking. He took a couple more steps before he turned to look at me. I snorted, shaking my head. "I'm not surprised," I told him. "With a family like yours..."

"One more word about my family..." Ronny spoke with a warning tone, and I lifted my hands up as a sign of truce.

If it was just me, I wouldn't have stayed so calm, but this was about Troy's life, and I had no idea what Ronny was going to do with the information that we were dating. I had to keep it cool. I could've tried to deny everything, but I knew I already missed that chance.

"I can't believe you're one of them," Ronny spat at me, when I didn't say a word.

"Funny. I was just thinking the same about you," I said in a low voice. "You know I'm friends with Sky and Max. You know Gwen is transgender. You know I hate close minded assholes who defend their hate with their holy book."

"I, as a Christian–"

"I, as an atheist, don't fucking care. And you know that as well," I spoke, interrupting him. "So what the fuck?"