6. The Barn

-Max-

-Max-

I had never met a guy like Sky. He was so... adorable. He was so innocent and somehow pure, like he was a small child. All my friends ever talked about was sex and parties and everything they were too young to even understand yet. Most of them didn't even have girlfriends yet, and the only time they had tasted alcohol was when their dads had let them have a tiny sip from their beer.

But Sky wasn't like that. It was really refreshing to be around him. He reminded me of the times when I was still playing with my transformers and action figures. He reminded me of the time when I was building the tree house with my mom.

I felt like I was a child again, just a little kid who didn't have to worry about grades or being better than the rest of the students so I could get into the best schools and get the best education so I could be an architect when I'd be all grown up.

It was really nice to not worry about the future, and just be a teenager.

"So, how many times have you been here?" I asked and turned around to see Sky.

He looked miserable, but I didn't understand why. He'd been laughing just now. Did I say something wrong?

I was walking backwards to see him, forgetting that I wasn't on a sidewalk. I suddenly tripped over a branch that was lying on the ground, and I would've fallen on my butt if Sky hadn't grabbed my hand in time.

"Jeez – thanks," I laughed with a racing heart.

"Watch where you're going, city boy," Sky giggled.

I laughed too, feeling happy to see him happy again. I wanted to ask why he had looked so sad a moment ago, but I wasn't sure if I should, so I let it go.

"Smart-ass," I chuckled, and turned to see where I was going.

"I don't have much to do in my free-time," Sky spoke hesitantly. "So I come here quite often."

"I have never been in this part of the forest even though I've lived my entire life here," I said, looking around. "Maybe I should have."

The forest was really pretty, and I liked the peace and quiet. The air seemed so much cleaner too, even though breathing was getting harder since we were walking uphill the entire time. I thought I had great stamina, but I guess I was wrong. I spent most of my afternoons running around the football field and I still got out of breath! How was that even possible?

I was so deep in my thoughts I hadn't noticed how quiet Sky was. When I looked at him, he had that sad expression in his eyes again.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing," Sky hurried to say, but he wasn't looking in my direction.

"It's obviously something," I said. "If you want to talk, I will listen."