73. Perfect Weekend

-Luke-

-Luke-

I hated my life so goddamn much. Troy's weekend was now ruined because that stupid knee of mine. Fucking hell, who would've thought that my sad suicide attempt would come back to kick me right in the face after such a long time? If I hadn't been such a stupid, messed up coward back then, the impact with the enemy player today wouldn't have been a big deal. It would've been just a bruise.

I was pumped full of medication almost immediately, and the pain was slowly fading away. Mom was there with me on our way to the hospital, while Gwen stayed behind. Once we got to the hospital, I had to wait for quite a long time before they could take an x-ray of the knee, and the entire time I was just lying in bed, staring at the ceiling. I had a lot of time to hate myself.

It got so bad that once I was finally taken to get the x-rays done, I was sure Troy hated me as well. I had failed him. I couldn't even take him to the arcade like he wanted. He told me he wanted to get the fuck away from Stephanie, and I couldn't even do that. I had the feeling I would have to stay the night at the hospital – last time I had to stay for three nights – so...

I ruined his weekend. In the end, it was me who ruined his weekend.

After the x-rays were done, I was taken into an empty room, and soon my doctor stepped in. I groaned when he showed me the x-ray. I had seen plenty of images to know it was not good.

"You can see here – your patella broke into four pieces," he said, holding the picture in front of me, pointing at each of them individually. "We need to operate on it to get the pieces back together. Again. I saw your previous x-rays after your accident two years ago, and it has broken almost exactly the same way as last time. My guess is it never healed well, and now the impact broke it apart again."

I listened with half an ear while he went through the procedure with my mom. She was staring at me the entire time, and I knew she had a couple of questions ready for me. She waited until the doctor left the room before she spoke.

"Did you notice anything weird about your knee before this?"

"It hurt now and then," I shrugged. "I didn't think it was anything serious."

"It hurt? Why didn't you say anything?" she asked with a slightly raised voice. "He said your kneecap seemed fragile in the pictures! The screws from the last operation were all over the place!"

"It didn't seem like a big deal," I said in annoyance.

"You stubborn boy!" she sighed in frustration. "Stubborn, stubborn boy... I should've listened to your doctor when he said it wasn't wise to let you play," she added with a mutter. "I should have listened to him..."

I laughed shortly. "I wanted to play. That is why you let me stay on the team. It's just a knee, Mom. It will heal eventually."

She stopped to look at me with wide eyes. She didn't say anything at first, but when she did, she had a small smile on her face. "Would you look at yourself? You're taking this awfully well."