43. Family Dinner

-Max-

-Max-

Friday was nerve-wracking. Part of me was freaking out about the family dinner, and the other part was worried sick of Troy and Luke's date. I had no idea when I had turned into that overly worried guy, but I sure as hell wished I could just relax.

The day at school would've been a lot worse if Sky hadn't been there to repeat his new mantra, "Everything will go just fine – you'll see", every now and then. My poor beloved had a lot to bear that day when I was around, but he never lost his cool with me.

When the school was over and Sky, Troy and I were walking to the bus, I saw Luke there waiting for us. Well, for Troy. Sky nudged my hand, giving me a look that said we should give them privacy, while Troy looked at me like he was asking me to save him.

"Everything will go just fine – you'll see," Sky told him soothingly – for the millionth time.

Troy was doubtful, but I was absolutely sure he was just nervous and not wanting to cancel the date. If I knew him at all – and I knew him pretty well – he wanted to go out with Luke. There was just no other way he would have said yes. I wasn't sure if he had always been open to the idea of dating guys too, or had he just realized it was also a possibility, but I knew that if he didn't want to go out with a guy, he would have said so right there in the beginning.

Sky and I watched Troy walking to Luke and stopping in front of him. There was a short moment of awkward silence before Luke found the courage to speak. We were too far away to hear what they were talking about, but it was obvious it was about tonight. The conversation didn't even last long. Luke spoke shortly, and Troy listened quietly, keeping his eyes somewhere down on the ground. Troy nodded a couple of times without saying a word, and then Luke walked away after saying goodbye. Troy didn't return to us. He just stood there, watching after Luke.

I looked at Sky, who had a worried frown on his face, when he turned to look at me.

"Should we go talk to him?" Sky asked.

"I wonder what Luke said... Maybe Troy needs some time alone?" I asked, keeping my eyes on Troy.

"Maybe Luke canceled?" Sky spoke quietly.

That was certainly how it seemed, but I forced myself to stop jumping into conclusions.

"Troy?" I spoke his name loud enough for him to hear me, and he turned to look at us.

I took Sky's hand and told him to follow me to Troy, who was still standing there with a blank look on his face.

"What did he say?" I asked.

"He's coming to pick me up at six," Troy spoke with a weak voice.

"So... Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"No. Why?" Troy asked and looked at me with a frown.

"No? You just seemed... No, never mind," I stammered.