40. Library Date

-Sky-

-Sky-

"Where are you taking me?" I asked with a chuckle when we stepped on the busy sidewalk.

"It's just around the corner," Max said reassuringly, and I tried to guess what he was talking about.

Since I still thought that he was talking about something that was related to football, I couldn't understand why he was leading me towards...

"The public library?" I frowned when he suddenly stopped by the corner of the mall and pointed at a huge, old building right in front of us.

"Yes," Max said almost proudly. "It's one of the oldest buildings in this city.

Part of me wanted to hit myself. Of course! Max loved buildings, not football. He wanted to become an architect. I looked at his face, and his eyes were sparkling in a way I knew mine always did when I talked about animals. He didn't usually talk about his passion, so I had forgotten all about it, and I felt ashamed.

"It is beautiful," I said hastily when he turned to look at me. "So, our first date is in the public library?" I asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"This isn't our first date," he smiled. "You took me camping on our first date," he continued with an adorable smirk that melted me completely.

"I didn't know it was a date," I said when we continued walking.

"Neither did I – at first," he said. "But then we kissed..."

I blushed when I remembered all the happy feelings I had felt that night, and every day ever since. That trip to the barn felt like it happened a lifetime ago, but only a few weeks had passed.

"Well, I guess the first official date was when we visited that shelter," Max spoke.

"Oh yeah," I smiled. "I forgot it was a date."

"You forgot?" Max chuckled. "Thanks, dude."

"No – I mean..." I stammered, hoping I hadn't just hurt his feelings, "I just thought dates were more like... dates."

"What?" he chuckled.

"You know, movies... restaurants... dancing... that kind of stuff."

"Do you want a date like that?" Max asked in a surprised tone. "I don't know how to dance, but if you want–"

"No!" I hurried to say. "If you don't want to go out on a date like that, then neither do I."

Max bit his lips for a moment, like he was trying to think about how to put his thoughts into words without hurting my feelings. "I think restaurants and dancing are grown-up things. I thought you'd love having a date in an animal shelter."

"Of course I do!" I gasped and grabbed his sleeve to stop him and force him to look at me. "It was perfect!"

Max stared at me with wide eyes for a moment before he smirked. "Or did you mean purrfect."