12.6 | Forever yours

A/N: Here it is! A word of forewarning - I actually shed a tear or two writing this, and I hardly ever cry, so, umm...!! 🙈 Also, I've included some images and mood boards at the end of the chapter. I hope the descriptions will do it all justice, but feel free to scroll down for an earlier look if you wish... Enjoy! Xx

24th September 2019 (continued)

At the foot of the Grand Palazzo, on the lowermost terrace, a level beneath the pool deck, lies the garden. A lush stripe of lawn stretches out alongside a tall stone retaining wall, lined with clutches of lemon trees. The slight gradient at the far end gives the illusion of it reaching all the way down the hillside to the Mediterranean Sea, which sparkles enticingly under the midday sun.

Italy has blessed them with a balmy Autumn day. With a perfect blue sky, and the sun warm but not too intense, a fresh and gently salt-tanged breeze floats up the hillside, mingling with the freshly cut grass and the scent of lemon, eucalyptus and floral blossoms in the air. It's incredibly beautiful, and fragrant too.

They're all set up for the ceremony. Golden flagstones, matching the Palazzo's terraces, line the lengthy aisle, which is edged with strewn white petals and scattered tall glass hurricane lamps, housing flickering white candles. To either side, banks of folding, white wooden chairs are jazzed up with tulle ribbons, which dance gently in the breeze.

At the end of the aisle, on a raised platform, stands a simple white lectern, draped in pretty white flowers and green foliage. Beyond that lies a wooden archway, dressed in green eucalyptus leaves and all the pretty white magnolia and dahlia blossoms they didn't go for in their wedding flowers. And then, of course, there's the magnificent view out to sea.

>

Harry had been curating the ceremony playlist for weeks, painstakingly compiling some of his favourite old songs to play quietly throughout the ceremony. They'd settled on some hallowed classics. Stand By Me by Ben E. King, At Last by Etta James, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack, and Songbird by Fleetwood Mac. Otis Redding's My Lover's Prayer will kick in during the signing of the register, and then play on a loop, to serve as the recessional.

For now, as the guests mill around and take their seats, Pachelbel's Canon in D Major plays over the speakers as a prelude. The familiar orchestral piece has been played at possibly almost every wedding, but, for good reason. It's beautiful and more than fitting for everyone's eager, happy mood.

Notoriously early for everything, Harry has been hanging around for twenty minutes already. And that's on him; it's not yet 1pm, so Eloise is by no means running late.

He has bidden his time by greeting as many of the guests as he can manage, with quick yet courteous "Hellos".

He's been ribbed by Louis and Liam; sassed by the likes of Grimmy and Michal; preened by Lou, and also Alessandro and Harry Lambert - despite both of them supposedly being off duty today. After a quick pep talk from Stevie, he even had his cheeks pinched by Eloise's petite Swedish grandmother.

Once the majority have taken their seats, chattering happily and bubbling with excitement and anticipation, Harry stops playing host and heads up the aisle to stand with Isabella and his ushers, in front of the floral arch at the end of the aisle.

After he addresses their guests and thanks them all again for coming, Ben pipes up too, reminding everyone not to post any photos to social media yet.

It makes Harry squirm and feel a little bashful. It's only their nearest and dearest in attendance, and they all understand the kind of intrusion they have to deal with sometimes, but he can't help but worry if they think they're being divas about it.