13.4 | Ever ours (Epilogue)

A/N 1: Here it is, the very last chapter... I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! Xx

A/N 2: Trigger warning - this chapter includes references to antenatal recovery and premature babies. If either are sensitive subjects for you, please just message me with any questions you might have before reading... For creative license, I have again taken some liberties with regards to Covid hospital visitation, but please, please ensure you adhere to the rules in your area... We need to beat this damn thing!

1st October 2020

Simultaneously wired and overtired, Harry 'slept' on the narrow day bed in Eloise's private room. But, in reality, spent most of the night jumping up to check on her, overly attentive to every noise and movement. From fluffing her pillows to swapping out water bottles, he was also on hand when she needed to express more milk again in the early hours.

After everything she had given him today, it was certainly the very least he could do.

Once the night shift handed back over to the day shift, Dr. Jenkins returned on her morning rounds, bright and early.

Pleased with Eloise's progress, she removed her catheter and cleared her to be able to get out of bed. Effectively granting her freedom, within the hospital at least, she didn't exactly have to encourage her to get up and move around.

Despite her clutching on to Harry's arm, it's him that has to gently tug her back and remind her to slow down. But he has no doubt as to where she's heading, and understands precisely why she's so intent.

>

Barely paying any heed to now seeing the NICU in daylight, Eloise's laser focus locks solely on the twins.

Robyn, back on duty again too, fusses over her, swapping out chairs to give her the best seat in the house. Literally - the soft armchair on rockers feels heavenly on her aching, broken, miraculous body.

After updating them on the status of each baby and the notes from the night shift, Robyn extolls the virtues of skin-to-skin kangaroo care for aiding premature babies' development.

Holding a baby, dressed only in a nappy, directly against your bare skin - usually under a blanket or tucked into your clothing - keeps them warm and calm, and helps steady their heart rate and breathing. It also aids sleep and prepares them for breastfeeding, so they're big advocates at The Portland hospital - especially those in the know in the NICU.

Harry and Eloise can't attest to any of that just yet, but can certainly feel it working wonders for them; soothing their frazzled nerves at the very first touch.

Suddenly feeling a jolt of nerves, she makes Harry go first, but drinks in the sight of him carefully cradling tiny Dylan to his chest, tucked into his unbuttoned shirt with a blanket over the top to keep him warm.

She only manages to tear her eyes from her boys, when one of the nurses finishes attending to Freya.

Then, she's up like a shot, standing alongside the incubator to gently run her warm palms over the crown of her head and her tummy.

She's unbelievably mini, and Eloise gets despondent and a little upset, struggling to envisage how she'll ever grow strong enough to make it out of the incubator, let alone off the ward.

Pinned down under Dylan, Harry signals to Robyn, who soon folds Eloise into her arms and offers some reassurance. "You want to know the most important thing for her development? It's you. Your milk, and your touch - both of you... That's almost all she needs. The rest is largely caution and monitoring. I know it looks so scary, Eloise, but you have to trust your instincts... You are everything she and he could possibly need right now. Ask the nurses a million questions, but just watch the babies and get to know them. Your intuition is the most powerful tool we have in our arsenal, trust me".