3.6 | You & I

6th July 2015

With the early afternoon sun glinting off the rolling waves adjacent to the Pacific Coast Highway, the mood in the car is more chilled than their journey out. 

After an amazing few days of sunshine, laughter, drinking and silliness, they're all feeling good but in need of some rest to recuperate.

Ben and Niall chat amongst themselves upfront, whilst Anne and Gemma banter softly back and forth with Harry and Eloise, who are snuggled in the seats at the back.

Their tangled fingers stroke and twirl together where they rest on his jean-clad thigh. She leans into his shoulder as she listens, eyes cast downward, delicately tracing the tattoos littering his left arm with the fingers of her free hand.

He fills in the blanks of Anne and Gemma's tales of family and friends from back home, with whispered asides to help her keep track of the likes of Aunty Lynne, who isn't actually related, and Sullen Sally from next door.

Noticing the fond smile and soft expression he wears at hearing of home, lapping up the time he has left with his mum and sister, she can't resist reaching up to peck his lips in a sweet kiss.

>

Soon enough, having detoured slightly, winding through the lower Hills to first drop Niall back home nearby, Ben pulls up in front of a black gate and leans out his window to punch in the familiar code.

"That took longer than I thought", he says checking the time as he pulls up the drive. "But we've still got a good hour or so before we need to leave", he directs to Anne and Gemma. He's taking them to LAX as their check-in time syncs well with Mer's estimated arrival.

As they park up, Harry squeezes Eloise's hand as he arches into his seat, trying to stretch what he can of his long limbs in the confined space. He turns and grins giddily to see her checking out the impressive modern house.

>

As they start unloading bags once again, Harry staggers ungainly from the back of the Range Rover, shaking out his legs and flexing his back at the earliest opportunity. He turns to help Eloise down from the back seats, hand unashamedly trailing up the tanned expanse of her thigh as she finds her feet.

She too takes a moment to stretch. As he steps close, crowding her, she accepts a soft peck on the lips before stepping back, playfully dancing away to take some bags off his mum.

He shakes his head at her, closing the boot and stooping to scoop up the rest of the bags. He looks up as he heads towards the house, surprised to find her waiting for him by the front door, hand outstretched, bouncing on the balls of her feet in excitement.

He jogs up the steps to reach her and wraps his free arm around her shoulder as he pulls her through his front door with a smile. "Welcome! Private tour's in about an hour, babe. Likely x-rated", he chuckles lowly in her ear.

>

They rustle up some sandwiches, ready for lunch, and end up lounging on the balcony overlooking the pool with Ben. Once Anne and Gemma finish packing and join them, their chatter is easy and lighthearted as they soak up the last of the California sunshine and their last few minutes with Harry.

As they all make their way back to the foyer, Anne gently pulls Eloise back and wraps an arm around her waist as they walk slowly. "You'll keep an eye on my baby for me, won't you, Eloise?", she says softly, looking at her imploringly, with glassy eyes.

"Oh, of course I will!", she promises earnestly, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"You've made him so happy, already. It's just so lovely to see", Anne says, reaching up to place a kiss to Eloise's forehead before pulling her into a lingering hug.