Time Immemorial.

Author's Note. This one was a lot of fun to write for whatever reason. Perhaps it isbecause the beginning of the end is drawing nigh. Maybe 4 or 5 chapters until it ends... Whatever will we do?

Please. Remember to vote on chapters if you like my story, as it tells other readers of its quality and helps more people see my work. Thank you kindly.

Cover image commissioned and drawn by NamelessHiredArtist. https://www.deviantart.com/namelesshiredartist

Please go and view their art and commission them. They have incredible talent, and I was lucky to have them draw anything for me.

The darkness loomed over Kelly as the ominous winds blew. The desiccated forest was once again her home, and she knew the sickening looks of the place have always accompanied a being beyond understanding.

"Why are you bothering me! Why! Haven't you done enough!" Kelly's defiant voice echoed out through the decadent woods.

There was no answer still, but the creature with eyes so bright loomed from the shadows, a living embodiment of the darkness itself. When it moved forward to reveal its form, its posture seemed different, and it merely appeared as if it wanted to look upon her.

"You... Please... I..." Kelly held her heart, almost unable to take the constant strain and stress of this torturous monster.

Kelly stared into its eyes, and but for a moment, the expression changed. Its eyes seemed softer and more contemplative than before, and that was when Kelly decided to actually think about the purpose of all of this.

Her mind swirling with questions unanswered, and the creature's words from the night before repeatedly rang through her head.

"Unforeseen actions have unexpected consequences..."

...

"... In giving back what was taken, our bonds have grown stronger."

With words remembered, Kelly reached out her hand and began to speak in a calmer tone.

"I don't understand our bond... What... Is it? What have the unexpected consequences led to?"

The creature just remained still, silently staring at Kelly. It seemed as if it were pondering, and then it eventually answered in its typical haunting tone.

"Your tale is cyclical. It is one that has been told and retold since time immemorial..."

...

"A life naught but a blood sacrifice on an altar of greed."

Kelly blinked when the cryptic words came out and then thought for a moment longer.

...

After gathering her thoughts, she responded. "What...? I... is that the unexpected consequence? My tale's end is different?"

The creature seemed unsure of how to answer, and its eyes started to lower themselves from Kelly's gaze. It was as if Kelly had all of the power in this brief moment. Eventually, it stated one simple word in a meek whisper.

"Feelings..."

...

"Feelings?" Kelly mimicked the word, more confused than ever.

The longer she stared, the louder the silence became. After a while of looking, Kelly widely opened her eyes as if she felt she understood.