Uncertainty.

Author's Note.  I decided to upload this early since I just finished a massive chapter much later on in the story.  Hopefully, this doesn't end up getting deleted like the last chapter : /  Enjoy!

Please. Remember to vote on chapters if you like my story, as it tells other readers of its quality and helps more people see my work. Thank you kindly.

Cover image commissioned and drawn by NamelessHiredArtist. https://www.deviantart.com/namelesshiredartist

Please go and view their art and commission them. They have incredible talent, and I was lucky to have them draw anything for me.

"Tom look... I am really sorry about this, but well..." Star said hesitantly, holding her phone close to her ear.

"Ugh, not again Star. You've literally canceled every time I have tried to go on a date with you for past the few days. We make new plans, and then you go and cancel them!" Tom responded feeling agitated with the current state of affairs.

"Look, I am really sorry, reallllyyyyy... It is just that Marco has been having a constant meltdown for days now. He is really upset, and I am just trying to make him feel better." Star tried to once again explain the situation.

Tom looked at his phone for a second and could feel the rage burning from deep within himself. "Star, what about me, huh? Aren't I your boyfriend? Ever since Marco went and made up some fake girl and claimed she went missing, you've done nothing but pay attention to him."

Star could hear his voice becoming elevated, and knew he was trying to hold himself back from losing his temper. "Tom... I know it is bizarre, but he just won't stop." She paused to look around Marco's room that was filled with a dozen different dimensional portals. "I think maybe Mewni is a bit too much for him, and he needs my support."

Tom let out an exasperated sigh and shook his head. "I know, but... I just really love you, and I want to spend time with you." He admitted.

Star smiled feeling flattered, and then rubbed the back of her head sheepishly with her free hand. "Hey uhm, how about we get together, just you and me, and have dinner tonight instead. Even if Marco is still upset, he can handle an hour or two alone." Her voice was hesitant, but she was willing to try again.

Tom didn't fully believe her but accepted the kind gesture none the less. "Alright Star, we will meet tonight for dinner."

"Thanks, Tom, you're the greatest." She said earnestly to him.

Tom blushed slightly as she said that and he felt his anger melt away. Star was one of the few calming things in his life, and as much as he hated who he became when he lost control, he felt secure in her company.

"T-thanks Star... I'll see you tonight." He said, and then proceeded to hang up the phone when they exchanged their goodbyes.

Star put her phone back into her decorative bag and stood there waiting around for a good twenty minutes. Eventually, Marco came barging out from one of the portals, and it was evident to her that he was out of breath and stressed out.

"I can't believe it Star! I've looked all around for days! Every place she likes! Every friend of hers! Nothing! Nobody has ever heard of her!" He was yelling in sheer distress, as he grabbed his face with both of his hands and flopped onto his bed.

"Marco... I know all of my friends, and I would never forget anybody like that.... I am not saying you are making things up, but I just don't see how somebody could exist and you are the only one who can recall them." Star said gently to him, trying to convince him he might be hyping himself up.