Unsteady Normalcy.

Author's Note.  This was heading towards 10 000 words, so I split it and am making thischapter 12, with a good chunk of 13 done. So, hopefully, this is enjoyable for the time being. I want to keep these shorter because writingis effortless for me and I can easily do 20 000 words if I am not diligent.

Please. Remember to vote on chapters if you like my story, as it tells other readers of its quality and helps more people see my work. Thank you kindly.

Cover image commissioned and drawn by NamelessHiredArtist. https://www.deviantart.com/namelesshiredartist

Please go and view their art and commission them. They have incredible talent, and I was lucky to have them draw anything for me.

Star stared at her phone quietly. She wanted to call Tom, and Marco had encouraged her repeatedly since her return. Though she was unwilling to listen to him before, now she felt as if he had a point. Despite her hurt feelings and love for Marco, she felt her heart bleed since Tom's departure.

What would this solve? Why was she so terrified and confused? No answers came, and so she sat there with her finger above Tom's saved number. Call after call he ignored, why should this time be any different?

With bated breath, she shut her eyes and felt as if her fear extended from her delicate heart to the furthest reaches of her body. Her finger tapped down, and when the ringing began, panic set in.

....

....

....

Ring after ring, it made her sweat, and then.

....

Nothing.

...

Star let out a sigh of pain mixed with relief. It was setting in by now that this was over, and so she tossed her phone on the bed. Once done, she started to walk out of her room, and that was when the blaring song of her ring tone started going off.

Star ran over to it, pushing a chair over in the process. Like a wrecking ball, she plowed through and picked up the phone to see the caller's precious name.

Tom Lucitor...

Star felt a burst of excitement as she pushed at the answer button, but accidentally hit reject.

"NO... nonononono! No!" She yelled in frustration as she quickly started calling Tom back.

.....

....

....

....

"Hello?" The familiar voice of a sad boy answered.

Star felt as if she might cry, her opportunity to speak to him was now. She put on an exciting, happy persona and began to reply.

"Heyyy Tom, what's up, what is goin down, is it sideways too? Hahah... Little joke there..."

Tom was quiet on the other end, and then eventually responded. "Star... It is good you haven't changed."

Star breathed in deep and got serious at this moment. "I know... But it feels like you have, and I don't know why. It is killing me."

"Yeah, I know. I... It isn't your fault. It..." He said, but Star interjected.

"How can you say that? It is so obviously my fault, and I want the truth. You say you love me? You owe me at least that much." Star said firm but gentle.