Encroaching Darkness.

Author's Note. A lengthy chapter to sink your teeth into.  Mmmm tasty.

Please. Remember to vote on chapters if you like my story, as it tells other readers of its quality and helps more people see my work. Thank you kindly.

Cover image commissioned and drawn by NamelessHiredArtist. https://www.deviantart.com/namelesshiredartist

Please go and view their art and commission them. They have incredible talent, and I was lucky to have them draw anything for me.

The hours flew by, and it wasn't long before the date. Marco had held himself up in his room. Endlessly bitter about Star, but also contemplating what he might do to please both her and Kelly. He honestly wondered if his punishment would be the destruction of his friendship with Star. Maybe he deserved it, but he really didn't want it to come to that.

He wouldn't dress fancy because, in truth, he really didn't want to go on this with Star and Tom. If anything, he was looking forward to seeing Kelly, but at the same time, he was dreading Star's response.

At around quarter to seven, he put on a pair of clean clothes, and re-wore his reclaimed hoody. For all it was subjected to, it still smelled of Kelly, something that he felt comforted by.

He limped out into the hallway but straightened himself to hide his injury as he walked down through the castle. As he exited the front gate, he saw Star standing by Tom and his chariot, and neither were looking at one another or speaking.

"Hey, you guys, uh... Ready to go!?" Marco said, trying to inject a little excitement into this.

Tom smiled, seeing him, but Star refused to acknowledge the situation for what it was. She clearly wanted to be here with Tom. Still, Marco and Kelly were obviously wounds that were fresh for her, even if she was misreading the situation.

"After you..." Tom said, taking Star's hand and guiding her up the chariot step.

She was surprised at first and then gave him a gentle smile. His grin was awkward and borderline fake, but Marco could tell there was something there, if small.

Marco was next, and then Tom. The chariot driver was quick to be on his way when the three were seated comfortably. Marco and Tom stared at each other, memories of that horrific night playing out between them without conversation.

Star was ignorant of it all, of course, and she seemed to be reaching a point of acceptance.

"Sooo, have you decided where we are going?" She asked.

Tom looked at Marco for help, and then Marco spoke up.

"Well, I figured we could have a nice meal at the diner in my town, and then see a movie."

"Yeah!" Tom interjected enthusiastically as that did sound like an excellent plan.

Star smiled and nodded. "Okay, that sounds... Fun, actually." She laughed awkwardly.

Tom looked at her and smiled, and she smiled back at him. It was as if the two couldn't help but find one another attractive.

Marco watched as the two stared at one another, and he averted his gaze to the floor. He wouldn't deny the jealousy he still felt, but he knew why he was doing this, and that superseded all else in his mind.

Lost in thought, time passed, and it wasn't long before Kelly entered the chariot and claimed her place in the empty seat next to Marco. She was quite cute in her casual attire, and Marco felt relief seeing her. It was indeed his fear she might vanish again for some unknown reason.