Wand of Monarchs.

Author's Note.  A rather long chapter.  Fun, Fun.

Please. Remember to vote on chapters if you like my story, as it tells other readers of its quality and helps more people see my work. Thank you kindly.

Cover image commissioned and drawn by NamelessHiredArtist. https://www.deviantart.com/namelesshiredartist

Please go and view their art and commission them. They have incredible talent, and I was lucky to have them draw anything for me.

The brightness of the sun began to shine down, casting its warmth against Marco's face. His eyes slowly opened, and he lifted his dirty hand to shield his sleepy vision from the painful shine.

He sat up in dazed confusion, and as his eyes slowly adjusted to the midday, he found himself at a loss. He was lying in the center of a grassy field a decent way away from the Forest of Certain Death.

He gazed around himself, trying to piece together what exactly was going on. He had no idea why he was here, and he was unsure why he would even be outside without his beloved Star.

Marco looked down at his muddy and scratched right hand. The minor wound had bled quite a bit, and he thought hard in his stupor as to how he had obtained it.

"Geez... What's going on?" He asked himself.

When no answer came, he struggled shakily to his feet. His one leg felt completely numb, and it threw him off balance. He shuffled forward awkwardly but managed to hold on his feet.

He looked down and saw that his jeans were tattered, caked in dry mud, and barely recognizable. He was feeling panic set in as he looked about himself. Had he been attacked? It seemed like the only plausible explanation.

Marco's eyes traveled over, and he could see the enormous castle looming in the distance. If he'd been assaulted, it was probably best he head there and get help from Star. He limped his way forward, still getting used to the fact that he could not feel his leg.

Despite his perceived injuries and slowness, he made rapid progress to his destination. The castle town residents barely noticed or looked towards Marco, as his tattered rags made him look like any other pauper on the street. He considered asking them for help but decided it was better to talk to Star and the knights about possible danger.

It wasn't until he had made his way to the castle itself that any concern was shown over his disheveled appearance. The guards stationed at the castle gate were quick to recognize him and rapidly moved over to check on his wellbeing.

"Marco? Are you alright? The princess has been having a meltdown over your disappearance. Are you hurt?" The female knight addressed him.

"I... I don't know?" He answered, somewhat dazed.

There was quiet as the two knights before him scrutinized his attire, and then the one who spoke to him walked closer to her comrade. She told him to rush and inform the Princess of Marco's predicament, and that she would bring him to his quarters so that he could clean himself up a bit. Hopefully, after that, he would better be able to speak about what had happened.

The other knight nodded and was quickly off to inform the princess. The female knight held onto Marco gently and carefully escorted him into the castle, through the halls of the entrance, then up the stairs that led to Marco's room. Once they exited the steps, she stopped in front of his quarters and waited by the door. Marco then quietly reached out and open it, after he did, she let go of his arm to allow him to enter under his own strength.