The Bird and the Wolfe.

Author's Note. This will likely end at chapter 20. How fun is that? I never outline or plan anything, but it will probably end on an even chapter.

I was sad writing this one, but I think that is what makes it better. Perhaps all the emotions I put into my pieces are why people read them, lol.

Oh well, review if you want... Or don't... I wouldn't worry about influencing the story because it is set in stone at this point.

Please. Remember to vote on chapters if you like my story, as it tells other readers of its quality and helps more people see my work. Thank you kindly.

Cover image commissioned and drawn by NamelessHiredArtist. https://www.deviantart.com/namelesshiredartist

Please go and view their art and commission them. They have incredible talent, and I was lucky to have them draw anything for me.

Fanart of Marianna by my darling Zodiac Tiger: https://www.furaffinity.net/user/zodiactiger/

The night was harsh, and the sounds of powerful rain beat against the crumbling wooden roof above. The cacophony of drips that splashed all about was accentuated by the continuous sound of ticking from an old wooden clock.

Kiel lay there staring upwards with nothing but the fireplace's light dancing before him. So many volatile and painful emotions running through his mind and heart.

He hated being here. He hated how pleasant he treated Marianna earlier. His distrust for her and everything she offered kept him from conversing further. Strange as it were, he wanted to talk but found an inappropriateness in it, so much so he just lay awake listening to the storm that raged.

....

....

"Are... Are you awake?" Marianna's voice quietly whispered through the room.

Kiel became ever more defensive and turned away from the sound of her voice, choosing to lay on his injury and hold in his cries of pain so that he could keep from speaking to her further.

"I... You shouldn't do that... It will make it worse." She said gently.

Kiel became angrier and angrier with her false pleasantries and eventually replied in a harsh tone. "Do you ever shut up? All you have done is speak, just let me alone, and I will be out of here by the morning."

...

There was no response at first, then Kiel breathed in deeply and rolled off his throbbing arm so that he could relieve his distress.

"Well, you haven't even told me your name... I, well... I asked, and you just refuse to talk to me. You didn't even eat the stew I made you..." Her voice was clearly filled with pain and fear, though Kiel was struggling to understand why.

He huffed out again and then pulled himself up to look at her in the dimness. She was sitting in an old puffy chair by the fireplace, and it was worn and dated. It looked like the kind one could sleep in if they needed to for lack of a bed.

"I... what does it matter what I am called? I never asked to be here, and I never asked for your help.'"

The harshness with which he spoke was not lost on her, and she merely turned her head to glance at the fire. There was an awkward and long silence that brought the rain and leaking to the forefront, but eventually, she responded.

"I've never had company here before... Usually, when people that look like you come into this forest, they attack and shout at me."

Kiel shook his head and responded bluntly. "As they should, you use your fell magics to kill them. You are no different than the monsters that attacked me earlier."