13: Over The Edge

Andy

I've spent a week trying to figure out what'll make Vidalia happy and earn her forgiveness. It doesn't matter what I do though, which means I haven't done what she wants yet.

I'll do favors for her, get her flowers...and after she thanks me, she reminds me that I'm still not forgiven. It's driving me crazy! She doesn't cuddle me anymore either, I can't live like this! Jesus, I've learned my lesson and the consequences of losing trust in my wife...but I understand that it's a process for her too. I'm ready to get back to normal whenever she is.

Today, Vidalia and I have training. We've moved on from driving techniques to understanding and using vehicle equipment and special body equipment.

When we got to the agency, Goya led us down the west wing towards the gym.

"First, I want us to practice using grappling hooks with belays. We use these to scale up and down the sides of buildings. Today, we'll practice on the rock wall," he elaborated.

I was thrilled to be able to do that today, but my mind always goes back to Vidalia. She was smiling as she walked next to me in the back of the group. I reached my hand over to hers so I could hold it, only to have her avoid me by crossing her arms over her chest.

"I can't hold your hand?" I asked quietly.

"You could snap my fingers or break my wrist," she answered.

I was confused, "why would I do that?"

"Why would I cheat on you? Oh, right. I never cheated on you."

"Well, I'd never break the bones in your hand."

"Can I really trust that?" Her walking sped up to walk next to Veronica instead.

Ok...I get it. She wants me to feel like she does. She wants me to know what it feels like when her trust in me wavers. I wanted to talk to her, but we're already walking into the gym and Goya is beginning his lecture.

——————

After getting the hang of grappling hooks, Goya was needed somewhere else for a moment. Our group was left to keep practicing on our own, so I took this chance to speak with Vidalia.

She and Veronica were standing on top of the wall, talking to each other. I made my way up to her with the grappling hook and belay. This wall is huge, about 100 feet tall, so it took me a minute to get up there.

"Babe," I climbed up to her, "can we please talk?"

"Hold on, Veronica's telling me a story," she said.

"No, come on." I grabbed her and hoisted her over my shoulder.

She gently struck her fist on my back, "hey! I was having a conversation!"

"This is more important." I walked with her to the other side of the wall. Setting her down, I started, "babe, I'm sorry about what happened. I trust you and I'll never doubt you again."

"You trust me?" She asked.

"Yes."

She hummed at my answer, making a thinking face, "...can I trust you?"

"Yes!" I nodded eagerly...she still has a pensive expression...what is she thinking about?!

"I'm gonna need you to prove it."

"How?"

Her eyes looked down to my grappling hook, then her hand reached for my belay and tugged on it, "this looks like it's working properly...you know how to use it well?"