Chapter Thirty-Nine:

I cringed as the nurse squirted the cold liquid onto my stomach. Tanner held my hand tightly as he bit his lip, anticipating every second.

"Oh! I see it!" He shouted, pointing to the very bottom of the screen.
"So what is it? A girl? A boy?" He was almost jumping out of his seat.

"Well, it's too early to tell," The nurse began, "but I can tell by the way your carrying-"

"Oh it's a boy!" I shouted, almost falling out of the hospital bed.

Tanner looked at me wide eyed and then back at the nurse. She simply nodded in agreement and Tanner rocketed out of his seat. He pranced around the room, his heavy boots thundering with every step. He threw his hands in the air and his t-shirt flew up, showing his boxers. The nurse flinched and looked away, her face slightly red. She couldn't have been much older than me, "Tanner, your shirt."

He lowered his hands slowly until he realized that his bright pink, Holister underwear were flashing everybody. He closed his eyes and smirked, pulling his shirt down and tucking it under his belt buckle.

"Sorry, miss..." His cheeks turned a light pink and he rubbed the back of his neck.

We walked out of the hospital, hand in hand, our eyes locked on the pictures of our new baby boy.

***

We drove home with a happy silence; Tanner's whole face was a smile.

We started to drive past the road to the house, "Tanner you missed the ro-"

He put his finger over my lips, "Shh, I know." He smirked his usual smirk and I felt the truck speed up as he leaned closer to the wheel. I looked around trying to figure out what was going on, then I saw his guitar in the back seat.

***

We pulled into the short, muddy parking lot by the Strother's crossing bridge. Tanner turned off the truck and glanced at me. With a wink, he shot out of the truck, guitar in hand. I giggled and chased after him playfully.

"Hey, hey! Be careful running like that!" He grabbed my hands to stop me.

"Tanner...it ain't gonna' hurt the baby. 'Sides, it's the first trimester, I'm allowed to run around." He released my hands and I spun around, swaying my hips as I trotted towards the river bank.

"Yee yee!" I heard him screech as he stomped after me.

The truck had been backed up towards the river so that the bed faced the water. Tanner had brought a blanket and some pillows, and he spread them across the width of the bed.
"You planned this?" I asked him jokingly.

"Yup." he said patting the blanket beside him.

I sat cross legged beside him and he flopped down beside me. "I'm so excited..." he said huskily, trying to keep his voice from shaking.

"I didn't know you were so ready for this." I said, hoping he'd explain why he wasn't worried about a thing.

"Well, I haven't told you yet, but I applied for a job." He shrugged his shoulders as he looked out onto the water.

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"Well, I've got a family now. I have to provide for you...both of you." He smiled and rubbed my stomach.

I raised up just enough to lay a kiss on his cheek. "I really appreciate that." I said warmly.

"Do you?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Yeah...?" I cocked my head.

"Show me." He leaned closer until he was practically pushing me out of the truck bed.

When we finally pulled our faces apart, the sun was almost completely behind the horizon.

We both sighed loudly as the crickets started to buzz and the frogs started to croak.

"I don't think you needed your guitar." I said softly as he laced his fingers in mine.

He looked at me with a crazy look in his eye, "I might." He winked.

I slapped his chest, "You won't." I said sternly, trying to hold back my laugh.

"Okay, okay." He closed his eyes and laid his head closer to mine.

"I love you,Tanner."

"I love you too, Shelby."