Chapter Nine:

I burst through the water and gasped for air. Tanner came up beside me and picked me up into his arms. I bashed my fists against his shoulders, "Tanner! Put me down!" I couldn't stop laughing. He looked at me and smiled a crooked smile, "Ok." he dropped me and I went back under the water. I opened my eyes and I reached for his hand. I dragged him under with me and he kissed me. An underwater kiss, somehow better than one on land...

We sat on the bank and watch the sun sink low behind the horizon. Well we kind of watched it, our faces were a little tangled together.

I felt something rub against my backside and I unlatched my lips from Tanners'.

"Tanner stop it!" I giggled and swatted at him. He came out of his daze and looked at me,"What did I do?" He looked confused and I felt the rubbing again. This time I slugged him in the arm "I said quit Tanner!" He lifted his hands and shook his head, "What?" I turned around to snatch his hand and I heard a loud hissing and a rattle. "H-ho-HOLY SHIT!" I screamed and jumped to my feet. "What is it?" He asked before he noticed the rattlesnake at his knees. "Oh my God!" He screeched and jumped up. He picked me up,again, and ran towards the four wheeler.

He set me down, "Stay..." He turned to look at his guitar, "...here." He ran to the blanket and grabbed the instrument, dodging a snap from the snake. Running towards me, he slipped the guitar over his shoulder. The rattling from the creature got louder as he started the engine. We took off through the mud.

"Someone's scared of snakes!" I laughed at him. I leaned forward to look at his face, he was scowling. I pinched his cheeks,"Aww what's wrong?" He huffed,"It's not that..I'm just a little pissed right now." He shook me off of him. "And why is that?" I asked smirking. He didn't say anything, he just kept driving.

When we finally made it back to his truck I jumped off the four wheeler ahead of him. I stood on the trailer in his way "I'm not moving 'till you tell me what's wrong!" I shouted over the exhaust. He turned the key and stepped onto the trailer in front of me. "Dammit Shelby..."I cowered beneath him, but he grabbed my arms and pulled me closer. "I'm pissed cause that snake got closer to you then I did."He smashed his lips against mine and I felt tingles run all the way through my body.

I felt my knees buckle and quickly afterward I heard a loud crash. When I opened my eyes, Tanner was on top of me. "I don't think I can-" he pushed closer to me,"Too bad..." He kissed down my neck and I felt a vibration in my pocket. He continued and then I heard a ringing noise. "Tanner..." I shoved him; he still didn't stop. I kneed him in the gut and he flinched, but continued. The ringing got louder. "Dammit Tanner!" I pushed him off and reached for my phone. It was my dad. Tanner was scooting closer to me, but I pushed him away and answered the phone.

"Hello?" I waited for my father to yell. "You about ready to come home?" I hesitated, "Yes sir, we are loading the four wheeler now." I heard him sigh and his voice got deeper,"Shelby, I can't believe this, but I think you need to stay with Tanner tonight. There is supposed to be really bad weather and I don't want y'all two on the road." My heart almost exploded out of my chest while at the same time, I was a little scared. "Yes sir, I understand. I'll see y'all in the morning. Love y'all." I hung up the phone and sat dazed for at least a minute.

"What's wrong, space cadet?" He asked me. His voice scared me and I jolted. "My dad said that I...that I-uh- had to stay at your place tonight." Tanner shot up and danced in circles until he noticed the frown on my face. He cleared his throat, "That's sweet of him,progressive as well." I crossed my arms, "It's not like he 'wants' us to have sex..." I looked at the four wheeler, "We should probably get a move on before we catch a down pour." He crawled up to me, "Oh no...Not this time, your not getting away from me." He had a playful smile on his face. I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be horny or scared. I reacted and jumped off of the trailer onto the four wheeler. "You sure?" I smiled and started the engine. "Shelby..." He started to step down. When his foot hit the ground I took off down the road. The last I saw of him were his hands thrown in the air.

I waited at least five minutes before I turned back for him. When I found him, his clothes were caked in mud. I pulled up beside him, "Need a ride hippie?" I joked at him. He laughed and slid onto the seat beside me. "As long as I'm going were you are." He smiled warmly.

Once we loaded the four wheeler we hopped up into his truck and headed for his house. He picked up his phone and dialed a number, "Hey momma, were are gonna have an extra guest tonight. Do you think you could pull the couch out for her?" I heard some yelling over the line, but I couldn't quite make out the words. He hung up the phone, " Alright, you get to sleep in my bed...and I have to sleep on the couch." I chuckled, "Is that what that was?"