Chapter Forty-Three:

"You promise to call every night?" I asked, frantically trying to shove a sandwich into a paper bag.

"Yes Shelby. Calm down would you?"
He huffed, grabbing the paper bag.

"Promise?" I grabbed the collar of his shirt and dragged his head down to my level.

"Yes!" He threw his bag onto his shoulder and stuffed the lunch I'd packed him in a side pocket. He started to turn around, but he stopped, "Hey..."

I looked up from the floor, "Hu-" Our faces collided and Tanner grabbed my arm. He pulled away, "I love you!" He jogged to the door and waved. I waved back, clutching his jacket that he'd let me wear.

I walked onto the porch as he started the truck and sped down the driveway. "Bye..." I sighed and walked back into the house. I looked at the clock by the T.V. "Two in the morning..." I rubbed my eyes and sat down beside a sleeping Tomahawk. I clicked on the T.V. and immediately fell asleep.

I woke up around seven to Tomahawk scratching at the door. When he noticed me wake up, he whined and scratched louder.

"Hang on!" I yawned as I stood up on shaky legs.

I let Tomahawk out and walked into the kitchen. I looked down the hall, "Tanner what do you want for breakfast?" No answer. I stomped down the hallway, ready to chew his ass out.

I busted into the bedroom and threw back the covers. Oh yeah...I wiped away a stray tear and stripped Tanner's jacket. I walked to the closet and picked out a pair of jeans and a red shirt.

I walked out of the bedroom a minute later to Tomahawk barking viscously by the front door.

"Dammit, I have a headache-" I swung open the door and looked a the growing cloud of dust in the driveway.

Tomahawk turned around to me, his hackles were raised."Calm down, boy." I whispered as he jumped to my side, whipping his hind end around so he could face the newly appeared truck. Tanner still had thirteen days to be gone, so I was confused by the vehicle.

A guy stepped out of the truck and Tomahawk launched himself towards him.

"Tomahawk!" I screeched at him.

The man took a step back as Tomahawk approached him with a snarl on his lips.

"Hey boy!" The man exclaimed, bending down to pet my dog. Tomahawk's anger ceased and he wagged his tail. He must've recognized the guy. "Shelby!" He called to me, waving his hand. I backed into the doorway of the house, "Who are you?" I asked, grabbing the door handle behind me.

"It's Noah..." He started to walk closer.

My eyes widened.Noah, my ex? That bastard what the hell is he doing here?

"Tanner isn't here." I stated.

"Is that the lucky guy who swept you off your feet?" He dusted his hands off and continued to walk to the porch.

"If I can remember right, you weren't so lucky to have me." I stepped out onto the porch and slammed the door. Tomahawk could sense my anger, and he trotted to my side.

"Shelby, come on."

"Why don't you go hang out with Paisley!" I snapped, turning around to open the door back up.

Noah ran up behind me and grabbed my shoulder. "Shel'..." My thoughts instantly swapped to Tanner.

I swatted his hand, "Don't call me that." Tomahawk snapped at his fingers, but Noah managed to pull his hand out of the way in time.

"Shelby, I just want to talk to you!" He flicked the slobber from his fingers. I whipped around and pushed him off the porch.

"Get off my property!" I shouted, pointing to his truck.

"What's your-" he dodged another attack from my dog. "-deal?!"

I took a deep breath and clenched my fists at my side, "Do you have any idea what you put me through?!" I snapped at him.

He raised a finger...

"No! I don't want to hear anything out of your mouth! The only you can do with it is smash it into other chick's faces!" My hands began to shake with anger.

"Look, I told you, I was a little...messed up that night." He rubbed his head.

"That night wasn't the only time you were messed up if I can recall." I crossed my arms.

"I made some bad decisions, everybody does it." He stepped closer and I backed into the door.

"Everybody cheats on their girlfriend?"

"Only once or twice!" He rolled his eyes.

"You don't even fucking know...try four! You cheated on me four fucking times!" I charged him and he fell on his butt in the dust.

"Damn girl, you still have as much spunk as you did-"

"When you left me?" I opened the door and turned my back to him. "Why did you come here?"

He got up and dusted off his jeans, "To see how you were doing."

"Like you give a shit." I rolled my eyes at his pathetic smirk. He started to walk closer to me and Tomahawk stepped in front of me. Noah sneered and kicked him out of the way, backing me against the door.

"Noah!" I screamed trying to reach for my dog.

"So where's Tanner?" He licked his lips.

I gagged and tried to push him off. My lack of sleep lead to lack of strength and I was unable to push him off. "Tch!" I huffed, moving my face away from his. "In town!" I fibbed.

"Is he really?" He opened his mouth. I heard scratching on the concrete of the porch and before I knew it, Noah's face was dragged away from me. I heard viscous snarls and growls; I heard teeth snapping against each other and I heard screams. I opened my eyes and watched for a short moment as my dog tore at Noah's face. No matter what they'd done, nobody deserved that.

"Tomahawk!" I screamed, reaching for his collar. I pulled the ferocious animal off Noah and he scrambled to his feet.

"What the fuck?!" He said clenching his bloody cheek. "Give me that damn dog!" He screeched reaching for Tomahawk.

I held him back with both hands as he snapped his jaws together in an attempt to swallow Noah's fingers.

"Back up or I'll let him go!" I shouted releasing a bit of grip on his collar.

He wiped his mouth and spit out blood. "I'll kill that damn dog, let me see him again!" He stomped to his truck.

"Let me see you on my property and I won't wait for Tanner to kill you!"

He slid into the seat, "Go ahead I kill the bastard just the same!" He spit once more and revved the engine.

When I was sure he was gone, I broke down and flopped onto the ground. I stared at the pool of blood in the dirt. Tomahawk was sitting beside me, looking at me with flattened ears. I glanced at his blood stained muzzle, but I averted my eyes quickly. Tomahawk licked my face and whimpered. I looked at him with watery eyes. He whimpered again. I smiled and fell into his fluff, wrapping my arms around his neck. He cradled his head in the crease of my neck and sighed.