Chapter Forty-One:

"Tanner, I'm not ready to tell them yet!" I said, slamming the truck door shut.

"What?" He asked, buckling his seat belt. "Oh, that's not what this is about silly. I was just trying to be nice."

"Oh, well that's fine. But don't you dare tell them, you hear?" I pointed my finger at him.

"Yes ma'am." He snickered.

"Hey, where did you put the pictures anyway?"

"In my wallet." He smirked, starting the truck.

"If you do...." I snapped, slapping at his arm.
He cringed, "I won't, I won't!"

"Good boy." I said, smiling as I sat back I my seat.

A few minutes later we pulled into the parking lot of Outback Steakhouse. I stepped out and straightened my shirt. "Tanner you coming?" I asked, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

He hopped down and shoved his wallet in his pocket, "Yeah, hold up."

I thought nothing of his devilish smile as we walked hand in hand to the front door. He stopped and held the door open for me, "M'lady..."

I giggled and walked through the door, opening the next one for him. "My good man..."

"Um, no." he said, grabbing the door and pushing me through it.

When I finally stopped laughing, I noticed my parents waving from a seat in the bar. We walked over to their booth and sat down.

"We didn't keep y'all waitin' did we?" Tanner asked, sitting down beside me.

"Oh no, no!" My mother exclaimed, waving her hands. " So how have y'all been doing in your new house?" Momma asked, shooting me a wink. My daddy glared at me for a short moment. It wasn't long before it was replaced with a goofy look. I chuckled and shoved Tanner out of the seat,"I'll be right back." I said sweetly, looking over my shoulder as Tanner sat back down.

I walked into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. The dark bags under my eyes became more visible as the days went on. I looked down at my stomach, no bump yet. I leaned onto the counter and sighed a heavy sigh. I splashed my face with a little cool water and wiped it away with a paper towel. I sighed once more and walked out of the bathroom with a smile.

When I got back to the table, Tanner shot me a weird look; I raised a brow.
My mother jumped out of her seat and ran to give me a hug.

"Oh, Shelby! I'm so happy for you!" My father got up as well. He crossed his arms with a blank expression. It turned soft when he held out his arms.

"Momma, what's going on?" She went and sat back down and Tanner stood up.

"Shelby, honey I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Didn't mean to what?" I looked to my parents. They were holding a small, square piece of paper.

I pulled Tanner by his arm away from the table. "Dammit Tanner! I thought I told you to wait!"

"I know! I'm sorry! I was trying to get my card and they just fell out!"

"Likely story." I spat, crossing my arms.

"Shelby, come on!" He tried to grab my arm, but I had already walked off and sat down.

"Everything alright?" My dad asked me when Tanner came and sat down.

"Yes sir, everything's fine." Tanner looked at me and then back at my parents.

"So, Tanner. I'm sure you've got a job now. How else would you take care of your baby, right?"

"Yes sir. I Uh...got a job." Tanner looked at me with worried eyes.

"Oh yeah? Where at?" My dad crossed his arms on the table.

"Oh, uh well...." He looked at me again.

"Come on boy, spit it out!"

Tanner huffed and lowered his head for a short second. "Well, I hadn't told Shelby this yet, but I guess I better. I uh, got me a job workin' off."

My mom's eyes widened and she looked at me. "Shelby..." I shook my head and pushed past Tanner.

"Shelby!" He reached for me but I yanked away from him.

Tanner turned to my parents, "I'm-I'm sorry y'all, maybe we can pick this back up on another day." He chased after me.

My mom covered her mouth and my father nodded. "Go son."

***

I had one hand on my hip and the other on the top of my head. I was fighting back the tears. I looked over and saw Tanner burst through the doors.

He threw a hand in the air and ran to me. I turned around to face my back to him.

He came up behind me, "Shelby, please."

He put his hand on my shoulder, but I jerked away.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked, wiping away a stray tear.

"This is why I didn't want to leave. This is why I was worried about leaving you."

"Tanner, it isn't the fact that I'll be alone. It's the fact that working off is dangerous. The fact that you might not ever come back. Im afraid to loose anyone else." I hid my face behind my hands.

"Anyone else?" He turned me around and looked me in the eyes.

"I lost my paw paw and my brother on an oil rig! I can't loose you too!" I fell into his arms.

"Your brother?" He asked, placing his chin on my head.

I sobbed into his chest, "Lets go home." he whispered.

I pushed away from him, "No! Tell me why!"

"Why what?"

"Why did you take the job?"

"To provide for you and the baby!" He said like it was nothing. "The job pays good money."

"I don't care!..." I screeched, "I don't care...Why didn't you tell me this sooner?"

"I was afraid."

"Why didn't tell me this sooner?!"

"Shelby..." He reached for me.

"No! Why?!"

He hung his head, "Because..."

"God Dammit Tanner, why?!"

He backed up a little bit, "Because I knew you'd react like this!"
He hunched over and stuck his hands out. "I didn't want the damn job in the first place! I took it so I could provide for you and the baby!"

"Tanner...lets just go home." I stomped over to the truck and slammed the door behind me.