Chapter Eighteen:

My mother greeted me at the door, "How was your date?" She gave me a wink and grabbed my hat from my head. I scrambled after her hand trying to snatch my hat back. "What happened to your hair..?" She smirked. My heart dropped, "I...I fell down a hill and lost all my bobby pins." I reached for my hat but she pulled it away again, "Are you sure?" She crossed her arms. "Yes ma'am." My voice shook and I sighed, "No ma'am." I hung my head and she kissed the top of it."That's all I wanted sweetie, go take a shower." She put my hat back on my head and walked away.

I stood in the doorway for a long time, trying to figure out why she was okay with that. I forced my legs to move and trudged down the hallway. I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I felt the hot water beat on my shoulders. "Ugh..." I sighed to myself. I leaned my head against the wall of the shower, "Lord forgive me...for I have sinned. If I could just remove this incident from your memory?" What kind of prayer was that? I asked myself.

After I dried my hair, I slunk to my room and fell onto my warm sheets. Momma must have washed them because they smelled like a field of flowers. I drifted into a heavy sleep underneath the soft cave of warmth.