Chapter Twenty:

"Yes ma'am we are at the creek,I can't pull him out of the water!" I tugged at Tanner's soaked self trying to pull him out ."My God! He'll freeze to death!" His mother hung up the phone.

Tanner had a huge scratch on his cheek that went almost to the bone; his shirt was ragged and torn in many places. Tears bridged my eyes, "What the hell happened to you?.." I whispered as I rubbed his forehead. "Tomahawk!" I shouted at him, "Help me!" I pointed to Tanner. Tomahawk trudged through the mud and grabbed a hold of Tanner's arm. "Pull!" I shouted as I tugged on his other arm. We managed to get him mostly out of the water. He wasn't breathing and I felt tears start to stream down my cheeks.

"No!" I screamed at him and slammed my fist into his chest; nothing. "Wake up!" tears poured out of my eyes and fell onto face. His lips were blue with chill, "Tanner!" I slammed, again, my fist down on his chest. "Wake up dammit!" I fell onto his chest that refused to move; onto his heart that refused to beat.

"What about our little house in the woods and our blueberry bushes? The tire swing hanging from the oak tree and the dump trucks in the yard?" I bawled like a baby. Lifting his body up to rest his chin on my shoulder, I gave his lifeless body a hug.