Chapter Forty-Six

I was so groggy and tired of driving I didn't know what to do. If it hadn't been for Tomahawk's constant licking of my face, I'd probably be asleep.

I looked up at the road signs, Odessa wasn't far now. Maybe fifteen more miles and I could sleep. Unless Tanner wanted to drive, we were staying in a hotel.

About a half an hour passed by and I came to the restaurant Tanner was waiting at. I parked the truck and told Tomahawk to stay. I hopped down and noticed myself in the mirror on the door. I looked awful, like I hadn't slept or showered in weeks. I pulled my hair down and put it in a proper ponytail, then went back into the truck and snatched my cap out of the glovebox. I straightened my jacket and tried my best to cover the huge bags under my eyes.

Finally, when nothing more could be done, I sighed and headed for the door of the restaurant.

I walked in and I was blasted with cool air. I shivered and retreated into my jacket. I looked around for Tanner, but I didn't see him.

"Can I help you?" I heard a soft voice.

I looked up at the host who had a worried expression on her face.

"Oh, sorry. I'm looking for my fiancé..?"
I looked around once more, but I was still unable to find him.

"Oh! You must be Shelby!" She started to turn towards the bar area, but all I could see was the person running head-on towards me.

I squeaked as I felt my feet come off the ground. The room started spinning and I could feel the warmth of Tanner's chest. I flung my arms around his neck and burrowed my face into his shoulders.

"Shelby..." He put me down and grabbed the sides of my face, examining me.

I grabbed his hand, "I'm fine...I'm okay." I smiled as his eyes grew wide. His smile covered, basically, his whole face as he pulled me closer.

"It feels like you were gone forever..."

"Two days is forever?" He smirked, throwing his duffle bag into the bed of the truck.

I shoved him lightly and hopped into the passenger seat.

"So I have to drive then?" He chuckled.

"Please." I begged, buckling my seat belt. "If you have to, just stop at a hotel or something."

"Are you crazy? I want to go home!" He exclaimed, slamming his door and clicking his seat belt.

He leaned over and gave me a kiss and a wink. I smiled as he started the truck. We roared down the street, finally, I knew he was actually okay.

***

"Shelby?" I felt a hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes and looked around, remembering I was still in the truck.

"Yeah?" I asked, yawning.

"I'm sorry I woke you, but...something's been bothering me..."

I sat up straight in the seat and looked at him. "What is it?"

"About Noah..."

My eyes widened and I immediately felt awake. "What about him?" I asked, looking at the changing expression on his face. It was turning into a mixture of hatred and anger.

"That bastard, he really...he really came to my house and did all that...didn't he?" His grip grew tighter on the steering wheel.

I scratched the back of my head. "Y-Yeah..."

"He knew I was gone! He knew I wouldn't be there to shoot his ass! I can't stand that he took advantage of you like that! I can't stand the fact that, of all people, he had to pick you to fuck with. Shelby..." He turned to look at me.

"Huh?" I asked, frightened by how quickly he'd became angry.

"I-I can't look at myself right..."

"Tanner, it isn't your fault. There was nothing you could've done. Don't beat yourself up over it."

"I ain't the one getting beat up. If he shows back up at 'my' house...I'll kill him."

My chest felt heavy and the hair on the back of my neck stood on end.

"Tanner-"

"I can't have anybody threatening you like that...its not okay." he looked at me, sorrow and hatred all balled into one and thrown at his face.

I didn't know whether to be frightened or elated. He'd kill for me, yay right? He'd kill for me...prison right?

"Tanner I can take care of myself." was all I managed to say.

"I know. But sometimes you need help. Your damn lucky Tomahawk was there or you'd be dead in a ditch."

I was appalled, "I doubt he was going to-"

"I don't give a shit. I'm trying to make a point." Tanner rubbed his eyes and let out a heavy sigh."I'll find a new job, one closer to home."

"Tanner, you don't have to do that. I understand now. That's the best way to earn money for our family."

Tanner's expression didn't change. He looked at me, then down at my stomach. "Not the best."
***
I stared out the window as the miles and miles of farm land and dirt flew by, too blurry to see. I felt a huge jump in the speed of the vehicle and looked over at Tanner, who had fallen asleep at the wheel.

"Tanner!" I shouted as I tugged on his shirt sleeve. He jolted away and screeched, jerking the wheeling driving the truck into a ditch.

Tomahawk barked and I jumped out of the passenger side door. I sprinted to Tanner's side.

"Tanner, wake up!" I shook him.
He moaned and looked at me, unable to focus his vision.

"Shelby? What happened? Did we wreck?" He rubbed his head.

"No. You just ran us into the ditch. There's not even a dent in the truck." I moved his hand away from the back of his head. "What happened to your head?" I exclaimed, running my fingers softly across the gash behind his ear.

"Huh? Oh...that's from the rig. Ain't nothin' bad, just hit my head." He dusted off his shirt and looked at me softly. "I'm sorry hon, I'm just a little out of it...I watched a few of my friends.." Tanner looked down to the floorboard. "It's nothing...get back in the truck.

I stared at him as his eyes filled to the brim with sorrow and regret. I grabbed the side of his face and pressed my forehead to his. "You don't have to talk about it love, let's just get home."

I felt a Tanner's body shift as he started to chuckle. "I don't think I'll be tired then."

I pushed away from him and stuck my hands on my hips. "Really now?" A smirk creeping across my face. He flashed his teeth in a goofy smile.

"Absolutely." Tanner winked and pulled on my jacket. I stumbled and fell into him. He kissed the top of my head, "But if you don't wanna-" I straightened up and cut off his words, "Drive the damn truck."

Tanner smirked and shut the door,
"Yes master."

{Sorry it's taken so long for me to update *~*...hope you guys enjoy anyways!}