Chapter Fifteen:

I woke up the next morning upside down on my bed; Not under the covers. I had my phone in my hand. I yawned and looked at the screen, 6:30AM...Wow, I actually slept in for once.

When I walked into the kitchen, breakfast waited for me on the table. I scarfed down the bacon and eggs and went to get to dressed.

After I slipped on a red Aeropostale shirt and some jeans, I walked into the living room and sat on the couch beside my mother. "Morning sweetheart." She said without looking up from her knitting. "That's the longest you've slept since..." My father stopped to think, "Ever." he finally said. I laughed and gave him hug. I sat and talked for a while with my parents until I heard my phone ring. "Love y'all!" I said rushing towards the ringing sound.

"Yes?" I answered the phone with a smirk and a raised eyebrow. I heard laughing and then some rustling over the line. "So Shelby," He cleared his throat, you know who I'm talking to right? I mean come on..."I was thinkin' that maybe me and you could like go do something today?" I giggled at how nervous he was, "Yeah sure, where at?" I bit my lip in anticipation. "It's a surprise, just be ready in five minutes!" His voice became excited and he hung up his phone.

I stared at the black screen of my phone for a minute before I put it down. I walked over to my closet and found my straw cowboy hat. I brushed my hair and put on some light makeup.

Walking out the door I explained to my parents where I was headed and who I was going with. My father scowled and my mother smiled.

Just as I finished fixing my hat, Tanner pulled into the driveway. He rolled down the window, "I wasn't even going to try and drive myself, I mean that would just be retarded." I watched him laugh. I noticed he wasn't stepping down. "Tomahawk is asleep you know..." He nodded, "Not for long." he leaned over and pushed my door open from the inside. I hopped in and we spun gravel out of the driveway.

"So where are we going again?" He looked over at me and smiled, "That part is a secret." Something gleamed in the corner of my eye and I turned to look into the backseat. "You brought your guitar?" His smile went crooked as he pulled the truck into the ditch and turned off the engine. He reached for his guitar and stepped down to the grass. Slinging the instrument over his shoulder he reached for what I thought was my hand. I felt a small pain in my butt and then I felt Tanner's breath on my neck. "That time it was me..." he whispered.

We had been walking on a trail through the woods for at least fifteen minutes before he turned off it. He beckoned me, "Comin'?" he asked. I ran forward after him. Somehow I had lost sight of him and I was pushing past trees to find where he'd went. When I finally saw the sun shine off his white shirt, I heard running water. He was strumming a song on his guitar, "Out chillin' on the beach with my sweet COUNTRY peach. Not a care in the world, just tryin' to beat the heat. Body like an hourglass, sand on her feet. I can't help but stare 'cause I got the best seat." He walked around me as he sang. He had the voice of a manly angel...if that was a thing. He went along with the song, "You hit me like a fire, shot me like a bullet, burn me up and down no way to cool it. But every time you kiss me it's like sunshine and whiskey!"

I felt my face turn red and he walked up to me. He got right in my face and he started to scream, "It's like a bottle of jack, straight to the head. One shot, two shot, copper tone red!" He spun around on one foot and strutted through the dirt as he sang. "Every time you kiss me it's like sunshine and whiskey..." His voice rang through the air and made me almost melt into my boots.

He un strapped his guitar from his shoulder and he started to crawl towards me. I scooted away, but he came closer until I backed up against a tree. "And where are you going?" he smirked at me. I looked up the trunk of the tree and then back at him, "Up that tree!" I shouted and shot up the trunk. I climbed until I got to a high enough branch. "You damn squirrel!" he slammed his hand against the tree.

I laughed at him as he struggled to try and climb the tree. I crossed my arms and leaned against the trunk. "I'll come down if you promise to sing another song." He stopped and stared up at me. I saw him smile, "Okay..." I jumped down from the tree right in front of him. When I landed, I blew his hair back. I raised an eyebrow at him as I walked over to the grass to sit down.

He strummed his guitar; I didn't recognize the song. He looked at me and winked, "I'm so addicted to all the things you do, when your goin' down on me, in between the sheets..." My jaw dropped as I listened to the song. I was so mad at him, "Ok, ok stop." He looked at me, "What you don't like the song?" I crawled over to him trying to seduce him. His eyes became glazed and he leaned closer. When he got closer to me, I head butted him.

"Goddammit! What the hell?" he rubbed his forehead. "Tanner!" I yelled at him. He opened one eye and looked at me, "What?" he said a bit angered. "Your language!" He stared at me for a minute before he realized what he said. "Oh shit, Shelby I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." I frowned, "Don't apologize to me." I pointed towards the sky. "Bow your head and repent!" I snapped. He smiled, "Yes ma'am..." he said bowing his head.