Chapter Thirteen:

When I got home, I flopped down on my bed, face first. I felt something jab me in the side and I sat up to look at it. It was my belt. "Ugh." I complained as I pulled it off. I fell back onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. This time I felt something stab me in the back of my neck. I clawed at it until I realized it was a button to the shirt. "Good Lord." I huffed, standing up. I tore off the church clothes and put on some grey sweatpants that had Class of 2015 down the leg. I put on a red shirt and slipped on an all black hoodie.

I grabbed the remote off the nightstand beside my bed and collapsed into my pillow. As soon as I hit the sheets, I was out like a light. The remote fell from my hand and tumbled to the carpet floor.

A dream started to whirl in my head. It started in a log cabin, deep in the woods. I heard two younger voices quarreling in the house, so I headed towards it. Once I opened the door, I saw Tanner holding a small girl and a small boy by their ears. Once the children noticed me they cringed and ran away. Somehow I had acquired an entire bucket-full of blackberries. I set it on the table and Tanner walked up to me. I noticed a gold band on his finger. He kissed the top of my head. "When do you plan on making the pie?" he asked, washing his hands in the sink. I said nothing. "Shelby?" His voice rang in my ears. "Shelby?" he pushed. I rubbed my ears. "Shelby!" The house started to shake and then the dream blurred.

"Shelby, dammit, wake up!" I opened my eyes and I saw a shadowy figure standing over me. I waited for my vision to clear and I noticed it was my father. "Dad?" I asked still rubbing my eyes. "I've been tryin' to wake you up for ten minutes!" He had me by the shoulders. "What for?" I saw my mother's face appear in the doorway, along with another one I couldn't quite make out. My father let loose of me and looked over to the two in the doorway. Tanner stepped past my mother and grinned with closed eyes. My mother smiled and beckoned my father out. She began to close the door, but my father slammed his hand against the door, flinging it into the wall. He glared at me before he walked down the hallway.

"So..." Tanner began, walking closer to me. He had his shoulders crunched up and his hands were in his pockets. He was wearing a hoodie as well, written on it was Senior Class of 2015.

I stretched , "What are you doing here?" He shrugged and looked sideways, his eyes still shut, "Apparently your mom and mine are 'best buds' now." I laughed. He opened his eyes and sat down on the bed beside me. "It's good for us,I guess." he kissed my neck. I pushed him off, "Come on, I'm going crazy." He begged. I put my hand on his face and threw his head backwards. He laughed, "What's with you? Don't act like you don't want to..." I frowned at him and crossed my arms. "I'm a Christian, that's what's with me, until you see a ring on my finger," I held up my left hand, "I ain't lettin' nobody in my pants." He rested back on his hands and hung his head in a sigh. "Fine, I'll get you a ring then." I pushed him over, "What so you can throw it away later?" He sat back up and looked at me, "No, I wouldn't do that." I cocked my head. "Are you talking about marriage?" My tone of voice got higher. He looked at me, a gleam in his eyes. He smiled, showing all his perfectly white teeth.

It was so hard to hold back around him, if it wasn't for the Lord's being on my side...I don't know where I'd be right now. He straightened himself up and took my hands in his. "As long as you'll have me, I'll be here." My mind ran wild. This is high school, I thought. He can't be serious! But then I looked into his eyes, he had a sincere smile on his face. I felt my eyes swell with tears and I let out a girly squeak.

I fell into his lap and burst into tears. They ran down my face quickly, and were warm; passionate. These tears were welcome, they felt good. I felt warmth engulf me. I could tell he had hugged me and was practically laying on my back.

He picked me up by my shoulders and looked me in the eyes,"For as long as you'll have me..." he whispered. I smiled back at him, unable to help the enormous amount of tears falling In a downpour from my face. I pushed my body forward into his and embraced him. Collapsing into his arms, sobbing into his shoulder.

About a half hour passed, and he now had his back against the wall; I was still in his arms, in his lap even. He cradled me and kept me warm, I felt safe with him I never wanted to leave- "Tanner?" I heard a soft voice in the back of my head and I felt Tanner shift. "Ma'am?" He yawned and passed it to me. I sat up reluctantly "Hm?" I hummed. He moved to stand up, "I gotta go..." he held out his hand to help me up. When I was on my feet he stood in front of me, smiling so innocently. We stared at each other before I gave him one last hug. "Bye." I waved at him shyly. He walked out and I shuffled back to my bed and sat down. I heard his voice and I looked up at his face in the door.

"I love you."