Chapter six:

The drive after that was silent, not an awkward silence, just...quiet.

I smiled constantly, unable to wipe away the grin on my face. Tanner did the same. "So, what are you doing with all of your fish?" he asked finally. My heart leapt into my throat when he spoke and I didn't reply. "What's wrong?" He looked over at me, still smiling. "Oh, right..." I noticed I was staring, what had gotten in to me? "I'm givin' 'em to my daddy, he's gonna fry 'em." Tanner's smile slacked up a bit, "Daddy? You realize we are literally about to graduate high school, right?" He chuckled. I turned completely serious, "If you have a problem with him-" He jerked a hand off the steering wheel, "No, no, I was just pickin' with you!" We laughed together for the rest of the ride.

When we finally made it home it was about dusk. My father was on the porch, asleep in the rocking chair. I heard Tanner gulp as he noticed the 30-30 in my father's lap. I placed my hand on his shoulder and smiled, "Its fine." Tanner straightened up and stumbled out of his door and scrambled to mine. He opened it whilst tucking and buttoning his shirt. He helped me down out of the truck and straightened his camouflage cap. Tomahawk jumped down and trotted towards my father.

He twitched as he felt his hand become soaked in slobber. His hat fell to the ground, "Huh?" he snorted. Tomahawk picked up my fathers hat and held it out for him to grab. He snatched it and put it on his head crookedly. He gripped the gun and walked up to stand toe-to-toe with Tanner. My father snorted in his face, "Daddy..." I grabbed his arm and he shook me off; I backed away.

Tanner held out his hand for a hand shake. My father stared him down intently and finally took his hand. Not even an eyebrow twitch from Tanner as his hand became lost in my dad's death grip.

I saw my dad look down at his gun, "You know what this is son?" he asked. Tanner shook his head, "Yes sir, it's a 30-30." My dad raised a brow, "And what would you hunt with this?" Tanner thought for a short moment, "Well, it's preferably a deer rifle, but it has other uses." My dad frowned, "Exactly, so just know that those 'other uses' you mentioned will be put in effect if you ever put a hand on my daughter." Tanner gulped, "Y-Yes sir."

"I'm just kiddin'!"my dad slapped Tanner's back, "Why don't you come in, Rose made extra supper just for you!" I watched the two walk into the house, Tanner looked back at me with a fake smile. I was amazed, in no circumstance had my father ever treated a boy like that. I smiled at the thought of maybe it meant something...