Chapter four:

I woke up the next morning and it was still dark outside. I yawned and picked up my phone to check the time, 4:30 A.M. Every morning this happens, my instincts fuel my brain and I wake up before sunrise. I shrugged it off and pulled myself out of the bed. I felt great, rested...excited?

I opened the cabinet and pulled out some cinnamon toast crunch. I poured a huge bowl and set it on the table. I turned around to the fridge and pulled out a pitcher of sweet tea.

I switched on the T.V. to some weird shopping channel. Momma, I thought to myself. I turned it to Nat Geo Wild, the legend of black wolf was on.

I finished my breakfast and walked in the mud room by the back door. I flung the door open and a blast of wet dog hit me. Tomahawk must've gotten in here over night.

I scooped a scoop of dog food and walked outside. When I opened the back door, a breeze hit me that made me freeze in an instant. I continued to walk through the carport, shaking off the cold.

Tomahawk waited for me around the corner. He was a German Shepherd dog, huge, with a glistening tan, black, and brown coat. He had white eyes, but he wasn't blind, just special. I smiled at the thought and set the dog food down. I kneeled to rub behind his ears and he groaned as I massaged them.

I stood up and clutched the dog food in my hand, "Bowl." I commanded and Tomahawk took off towards the back yard. He came back moments later with a silver bowl in his mouth. I pointed to the ground, "Food." I told him and he set down the bowl. He continued with the command by laying down and covering his face with his paws. " Dear lord, thank you for this wonderful lamb flavored food, Amen." I said smiling. He looked at me and then back down to his bowl. I nodded and he shoved his face into the food, slobber practically flying everywhere.

I finished feeding the chickens, goats, and pigs, and walked to the barn. I set the bucket of dog food down beside the door of the barn and slid it open. I heard my horse neigh. "Mornin' Flag." I told her walking over to the tack room. I opened the small door and opened a fifty-five gallon barrel of sweet feed;It smelled like molasses. I shivered with pleasure as I walked back over to the horse. "Here you go." I told her as I dumped the feed in her bucket.

When I finally made it back to the house, I slipped off my rubber boots. I opened the door and a whiff of bacon filled my nose. My dad was sitting at the table, reading the paper. He turned around, "Morning Shelby." I smiled and gave him a hug. I looked at the clock on the wall, it was almost six; apparently I took my time.

I finished, for the second time, my breakfast. "So, are you gonna bring home some white perch for us to fry?" my father asked. I looked up from my plate, "Yes sir, you know it!" I chuckled and walked to the sink to rinse my plate.

I heard my phone ring down the hallway.

"Hello?" I answered. "Hey, you ready?" the voice on the line answered. It was Tanner, I could tell, "Yeah, I just have to go get my pole out of the shed." We conversed for a few minutes before I hung up.

I pulled the drawer of my dresser open and pulled out a blue, black and red button up and pulled on some old Levi's.

"Daddy, is my fishing pole still in the shed?" I asked him, fixing my hair back into a ponytail as I walked down the hallway. He shrugged, "It ain't mine, why would I know?"he shoved a piece of bacon in his mouth. My mother scowled at him, "Yes, sweetheart, it's still in the shed." She placed the ceramic plate she was washing in the drying rack.

I lugged my tackle box and my pole out under the carport and waited for Tanner. Tomahawk waited with me and I fell asleep on his chest. When he finally pulled up, Tomahawk jumped up and my head fell to the concrete. "Shit Tomahawk!" I yelled rubbing my head. I heard Tanner's laugh, it was huskier than I remembered. He held out his hand and I grabbed it.

"Your dog seems nice." he chuckled, helping me throw my gear in the bed of his truck. "So you don't mind if he comes along?" I asked sarcastically as I stepped up into his truck. "Uh-" Tomahawk jumped in my lap as I sat down. Tanner walked over to the driver's seat and stepped in, "Can he ride in the back?" he asked reaching to pet him. Tomahawk growled and he pulled his hand away, "Never mind." He said, focusing his sight out the back window as he backed up.